February 2024 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post January 31, 2024 07:48 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=067acfd1bd554079

1. Hoplites - Μῆνιν ἄειδε, θεὰ παραμαινομένη ἐμοῦ... (from Παραμαινομένη, 2024)

2. Inquisition - Memories Within an Empty Castle in Ruins (from Veneration of Medieval Mysticism and Cosmological Violence, 2024)

3. Woe - Far Beyond the Fracture of the Sky (from Legacies of Frailty, 2023) [Submitted by Vinny]

4. Samael - Worship Him (from Worship Him, 1991) [Submitted by Daniel]

5. Taake - Et uhyre av en kniv (from Et hav av avstand, 2023) [Submitted by Sonny]

6. The Amenta - Crystal Lakes (from Plague of Locus, 2023)

7. Syn - Groregn (from Villfarelse, 2023) [Submitted by Vinny]

8. Grotesque - Blood Runs From The Altar (from Incantation, 1990) [Submitted by Daniel]

9. Code - The Cotton Optic (from Nouveau Gloaming, 2005)

10. Mare Cognitum - Pyre of Ascendance (from An Extraconscious Lucidity, 2012) [Submitted by Sonny]

11. Malokarpatan - I hle, tak zachádza imperiálna hviezda (from Vertumnus Caesar, 2023) [Submitted by Daniel]

12. Blut Aus Nord - Queen of the Dead Dimension (from Disharmonium: Nahab, 2023) [Submitted by Vinny]

13. Diabolical Masquerade - The Puzzling Constellation of a Deathrune (from The Phantom Lodge, 1997)

14. Sarcofago - Christ’s Death (from Christ’s Death, 1987) [Submitted by Daniel]

15. Winterfylleth - Ensigns of Victory (from The Dark Hereafter, 2016)

16. Antaeus - Cyklic Torture (from Blood Libels, 2006)

17. Vemod - Der guder dør (from The Deepening, 2024)

February 01, 2024 06:03 PM

The more of Hoplites that I hear the less interested I am in them/him.  I was disappointed by the new Inquisition track as well - very keys heavy.  Taake appears to be embracing some interesting traits and I do need to revisit that release of his from last year, but overall the first 9 or so tracks saw a fair bit of skipping being deployed (even on my own choices).  That The Amenta track turns out to be off a covers album which I listened to some more of but switched it off after they butchered Angry Chair by Alice In Chains.  Thankfully, Sonny saved things with a Mare Cognitum track and then Daniel continued the recovery with the Malokarpatan track.

Not heard any Diabolical Masquerade for years so that was a nice blast from the past and I still have to admit that I neglect Antaeus to a criminal level after all these years.  Really interested in that Vemod album based on that closing track.  

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
February 01, 2024 08:02 PM

Yeah, I have to admit it was a quiet month for new North tracks. I agree that modern Inquisition seems to have lost some of what made it so enjoyable in the past. 

I corrected The Amenta track to be off Plague of Locus rather than Lord Kaos' Thorns of Impurity album, which of course the track was originally found on. The Lord Kaos album is now on Spotify too, which is a good thing. Daniel was mates with the guys in the band and I listened to that album a lot in the back end of the 90s.