December 2023 - Feature Release - The North Edition

First Post November 30, 2023 07:29 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month’s feature release for The North has been nominated by myself. It's the brilliant 2019 "The Baneful Choir" third album from Spanish war metal outfit Teitanblood, a release that I regard as being the band's finest work & one of the pinnacles of the subgenre.

https://metal.academy/releases/13358

November 30, 2023 10:30 PM

I've been meaning to check this out for ages after being blown away by their previous album, Death, so thanks for nominating it Daniel. Maybe I'll get off my arse and give it a review now!

December 01, 2023 12:08 PM

These were my comments when I revisited this release recently:

What a fucking ripper of a third album from one of the best couple of bands in the war metal space in Spain's Teitanblood. In fact, I rate "The Baneful Choir" more highly than the band's highly regarded sophomore effort "Death" to be honest. They tend to lean further towards the death metal side of the black/death equation a lot of the time with a super-dark production job & some outstanding dark ambient pieces combining for a devastating atmosphere. Imagine the savage war metal of Blasphemy & Archgoat crossed with the blackened death metal of Antediluvian & you'll come close to describing this cacophony, only these guys do it better than all of them in my opinion. There's even a brilliant doom/death track included early in the blemish-free tracklisting. Loving it!

4.5/5

January 02, 2024 09:36 PM

A bit late, but I did comment on this album earlier on and I'm doing my rounds of catch up today here on the forums as well but wow what a release and I do appreciate the nomination of this one Daniel it definitely hit a spot I didn't know I needed. As I mentioned in the review, this is such a great album to sleep to for some reason the atmosphere is just so cozy.