Canadian Black Metal - An Exploration

First Post September 01, 2023 03:48 PM

I have recently found myself compartmentalising my music by country (sometimes even going as far as regionally) and am currently in the beginnings of a Canadian bm exploration.  There are some modern bands I am fully aware of (Spectral Wound, Nordicwinter, Panzerfaust) and they will no doubt get some thread time here along with any new discoveries I make also.

For the record, no Blasphemy or Conqueror will be found here as War Metal is not the beast I seek, nor will any of the more loosely labelled black metal releases (Amnesia, Sacramentary Abolishment - as examples) crop up.  Just the conventional and atmospheric bm artists that I come across will find their way into here when the time permits.

Communal thread of course so hoping the rest of the board members can drop their favourites into the conversation as well.

September 01, 2023 03:53 PM

Sorcier Des Glaces - "Snowland" 1998

I am on a Canadian black metal deep dive at present, trying to seek out the essential releases for review. As I tried to plot this course through the vast landscape of one of the biggest land masses on the planet, I immediately stumbled on Sorcier Des Glaces. One of the first black metal releases listed on Metal Academy as being from Canada (there will be earlier ones I am sure), the 1998 debut from SDG is an atmospheric affair that focuses on dark forests, wintery landscapes, and the misanthropic appreciation of nature. The whole album was rerecorded in 2012 (Snowland MMXII) with a less raw production and less keyboards. For this review, I am listening to the original debut album.

Those keys that got a trim in the rerecorded version certainly make their presence felt here. They successfully drive the tracks forwards without taking over from any of the required force of the riffs and percussion sections. They most certainly help with that atmospheric feel to the album but are by no means stealing the show. Also, in terms of the production, although I would not say it is perfect, I have most certainly heard worse and in all honesty (on a black metal record) I prefer it to the more polished rerecorded version. Yes, there is an element of the tremolos sounding like someone is pissing about with the fader on the mixing desk, but it is by no means a distraction.

Perhaps the biggest victim of the original mix are the drums. In the wilder moments of some tracks, we hear more of the “tish” of the cymbals than we do of the actual beats. This is a shame because they are competently performed by Luc Gaulin, just a little lost in the grander scheme of things. However, I think in many ways this enhances the cold and sterile aspects of this album by way of contrast to those richer (but no warmer) keyboards.

Vocally, the throaty rasp of Sébastian Robitalle is a real force to be reckoned with throughout Snowland. Some of the layering effects on My Journey in the Black Forest add a real sense of threat to the track but it is that haughty depth in his vocals that provides such an excellent foundation to build from. In their more expansive moments, the duo reminds me of Paysage d’ Hiver and when the instrumental track Darkness Covers the Snowland comes in it brings such influences as Emperor and Summoning to mind.

There are a couple of occasions where the melodic soar of the guitar is allowed free-reign, and this works well in adding some crystalline lushness to proceedings before giving way to a more tremolo driven style of playing usually. All in all, Snowland is a fine start to my Canadian bm exploration. Whilst most certainly not without fault, it still represents an ambition and crude determination to succeed in the face of some challenges.

September 01, 2023 05:14 PM

I would definitely recommend atmospheric black metal Quebecois separatists, Forteresse, Vinny. Particularly their 2016 album, Thèmes pour la rébellion.

Another interesting underground act is the black/doom band Alkymist and a particular favourite of mine is Toronto's Sortilegia.

... Oh, and Spectral Wound.

September 01, 2023 05:34 PM

Thank you Somny.  I know Spectral Wound but not the others.

September 01, 2023 06:42 PM

The last couple of full-lengths from Québec depressive/atmospheric black metal duo Gris are worth checking out. 2007's "Il était une forêt..." is arguably Canada's most widely celebrated black metal release however I prefer their 2013 double album "À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée..." to tell you the truth.

September 01, 2023 09:14 PM

I listened to Snowland this evening whilst taking Koko for her last walk of the day. I have to use Spotify for my mobile listening so I could only find the MMXII re-recorded version. I still found it to be very much up my street and I'm itching to hear the rawer, original version. Is it on YouTube or Bandcamp do you know Vinny?

September 01, 2023 09:17 PM

The last couple of full-lengths from Québec depressive/atmospheric black metal duo Gris are worth checking out. 2007's "Il était une forêt..." is arguably Canada's most widely celebrated black metal release however I prefer their 2013 double album "À l'âme enflammée, l'âme constellée..." to tell you the truth.

Quoted Daniel

I'd second Il était une forêt... I found it to be one of the most affecting DSBM releases I have heard.

September 02, 2023 07:14 AM

I listened to Snowland this evening whilst taking Koko for her last walk of the day. I have to use Spotify for my mobile listening so I could only find the MMXII re-recorded version. I still found it to be very much up my street and I'm itching to hear the rawer, original version. Is it on YouTube or Bandcamp do you know Vinny?

Quoted Sonny

It is on both YouTube and Bandcamp Sonny, but I listened to it on Bandcamp.

Quoted Daniel

thanks Daniel will check them out.

September 02, 2023 08:16 AM

Quoted Sonny

It is on both YouTube and Bandcamp Sonny, but I listened to it on Bandcamp.

Quoted UnhinderedbyTalent

Nice one. I'll head on over and grab a copy from BC.

September 02, 2023 12:21 PM

Wait, Gris are essentially Miserere Luminis whose album from this year I reviewed last month.  I mean the guy out of Sombre Forêts is in ML as well but seems like it is a natural extension of Gris.  Listening to Gris now anyways, like it.

September 03, 2023 03:00 PM

Panzerfaust - "The Suns of Perdition - Chapter II: Render Unto Eden (2020)

On paper, Panzerfaust do not have a lot going for them. With a sound not dissimilar to Mgla whom I have never really seen the total appeal of over the years, the fact that any of their releases have lasted more than one listen is an achievement in itself. However, whilst I do accept those references to the Polish band I believe there's more to the Canadians that just the dashing black metal sound that draws the similarity. I am familiar with the releases that precede and follow this one and so my experience of the band overall draws me to reference elements of Deathspell Omega (although a lot less chaotic) and my personal favourites Gaerea also. Something in that mix of stabbing dissonance and a taught emotional core just thrusting to get out and spill its guts everywhere just speaks volumes to me and the second chapter of The Suns of Perdition series of albums best exemplifies this for me.

There is an urgency to ...Render Unto Eden that feels like the itch of a skin infection that has some festering fluid to release but continues to taunt the afflicted by prolonging the incessant, gnawing sensation. At the same time, there is a lot of structure to this record. These tracks are well-written and are allowed to develop well on each occasion. Opener, Promethean Fire has a superb build that makes the listener wait for its arrival proper by layering the textures slowly but surely. At the same time, the flurrying melodies of Areopagitica will have you palpitating as you try to keep up. What I hear on this record is a band exuding a level of intelligent restraint. Having the heart to share some influences without necessarily wearing them on their sleeves, yet at the same time having the common sense to not let the urgency of their style substitute structure and track development.

The drums on The Snare of the Fowler act like tools to build up to the the almost Ulcerate-esque melodic riff. Indeed Alexander Kartashov shows a prowess on the drums for pretty much all of the record and the bellicose (and it has to be said rather Nergal-like) vocals of Goliath are also a standout. But it is the chiming, stabbing and soaring work of the guitar of Brock "Kaizer" Van Dijk that truly steals the show here as those ringing tremolos capture the ghastly melodies and haunting dissonance inherent in the Panzerfaust sound. I guess there is a deeper story to the album trilogy here that I am yet to tap into, but for now let me acknowledge what a fine record this is - regardless of any conceptual references overall. 

4/5

September 23, 2023 03:38 PM

Tenebrae - "Serenades of the Damned" (1994)

Having spare time to pursue my exploration of Canadian black metal is a real test at present but this does have the benefit of me being able to take it slowly and not just dive into any release that I find.  Today I wanted to look at some demos and I stumbled across Tenebrae (Latin word for "darkness") and their short discography that matches their short life together.  This five-piece managed just one full-length release before they split up.  Their demo that arrived some two years before their album is a suitably raw affair that contains some Emperor style symphonic keyboards to add into the mix.  The vocalist here is the guy who owns Sepulchral Productions (Martin Marcotte) and he gives a true to style grim and ghastly performance which is the standout performance on the release.  Those keyboards are not well represented in the overall sound and come across as amateurish and border on dungeon synth a little also.

The twin guitar attack works well alongside busy yet not always clear drums.  There's not really a lot on offer here that had not already been done by the Norwegians in the three or four years that preceded this release.  For a demo though, you get thirty-five minutes of sluggishly structured black metal that tries to run before it can walk on some occasions yes, but on the whole is still interesting listening (the last track however is a clusterfuck).  Not essential listening on my exploration but at least the influences are obvious.

Can be located on Bandcamp (on a "pay what you want" basis) or YouTube for anyone who is interested.

3/5