August 2023 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post July 31, 2023 09:03 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=d6edad22ede24a29

1. Thantifaxath - Surgical Utopian Love (from Hive Mind Narcosis, 2023)

2. Nocturnal Graves - An Outlaw's Stand (from An Outlaw's Stand, 2022) [Submitted by Daniel]

3. None - Rest (from Inevitable, 2023)

4. Armagedda - Deathminded (from The Final War Approaching, 2001) [Submitted by Sonny]

5. Blackbraid - The Spirit Returns (from Blackbraid II, 2023)

6. Raventale - Sunset of the Age (from Long Passed Days, 2008) [Submitted by Vinny]

7. Throne of Ahaz - Fenris (from On Twilight Enthroned, 1996) [Submitted by Sonny]

8. Lunar Aurora - Der Pakt (from Andacht, 2007) [Submitted by Daniel]

9. Kostnatění - Hořím navždy (I Burn Forever) (from Úpal, 2023)

10. Deathspell Omega - First Prayer (from Si monvmentvm reqvires, circvmspice, 2004) [Submitted by Daniel]

11. Black Witchery - Antichrist Order of Holy Death (from Inferno of Sacred Destruction, 2010) [Submitted by Sonny]

12. RUÏM - The Triumph (of Night & Fire) (from Black Royal Spiritism - I.O sino da igreja, 2023)

13. Revenge - Wolf Slave Protocol (Choose Your Side) (from Behold.Total.Rejection, 2015) [Submitted by Daniel]

14. Fen - Scouring Ignorance (from Monuments to Absence, 2023)

15. Burzum - Stemmen fra tårnet (from Aske, 1993) [Submitted by Sonny]

16. Miserere Luminis - Le sang des rêves (from Ordalie, 2023)

17. Carpathian Forest - The Swordsmen (from Black Shining Leather, 1998) [Submitted by Sonny]

18. Panzerfaust - Promethean Fire (from The Suns of Perdition - Chapter II: Render Unto Eden, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

August 02, 2023 08:36 PM

In an unexpected quiet couple of days at work, I managed to get through both The Fallen and The North playlists early doors this month.  Standouts for me:

Thantifaxath - Surgical Utopian Love (from Hive Mind Narcosis, 2023) - was aware of these Canadians already and so was delighted to see things opening up with their weird mix of Deathspell Omega meets Jute Gyte alongside BAN sounding atmospherics.

None - Rest (from Inevitable, 2023) - unusually captivating for a depressive black metal release, I found Rest to be almost enchanting in the most desolate and utterly hopeless way imaginable - I listened to the full album today and soon got bored though so will see how it picks up with repeated listens.

Armagedda - Deathminded (from The Final War Approaching, 2001) - looking forwards to reviewing this in the coming month.  I have been on a real conventional black metal kick of late and so the timing of this release being a Feature could not be better.  Wondering how I ever missed these guys to date though.

Blackbraid - The Spirit Returns (from Blackbraid II, 2023) - despite all the hype (and frankly relentless advertising) this guy gets, I have to admit to being underwhelmed with the first record.  This track grabbed my attention though with its melodic yet icy chunks of riffage.

Fen - Scouring Ignorance (from Monuments to Absence, 2023) - up to about my third listen with this record now and although not an outright struggle, it was not as immediate as I had hoped.  This track shows best why it caught me off-guard.  Very aggressive and racing in comparison to what I expected and those clean vocal passages are yet to land with me fully if honest.  Yet at the same time I am still utterly intrigued and want to learn more about the record.

Miserere Luminis - Le sang des rêves (from Ordalie, 2023) - I have seen the dazzling artwork for the album this track comes off already and knew I would have to check it out.  Atmospheric and expansive to boot, the whole album is a joy to behold having played it through a couple of times off the back of this track in the playlist.