July 2023 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post June 30, 2023 10:51 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=2dbfc99eb55843d4

1. Anaal Nathrakh - The Supreme Necrotic Audnance (from The Codex Necro, 2001)

2. Thy Darkened Shade - Revival Through Arcane Skins (from Liber Lvcifer I:Khem Sedjet, 2014) [Submitted by Vinny]

3. Inquisition - Desolate Funeral Chant (from Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, 2010)

4. Aosoth - Her Feet upon the Earth, Blooming the Fruits of Blood (from V: The Inside Scriptures, 2017) [Submitted by Vinny]

5. Sargeist - The Bosom of Wisdom and Madness (from Unbound, 2018)

6. Zhrine - The Earth Inhaled (from Unortheta, 2016)

7. Nightbringer - Et nox illuminatio mea in deliciis meis (from Ego Dominus Tuus, 2014)

8. The Great Old Ones - Visions of R'lyeh (from Al Azif, 2012) [Submitted by Sonny]

9. Deafheaven - Baby Blue (from 10 Years Gone, 2020) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. Plebeian Grandstand - Rien n'y fait (from Rien ne suffit, 2021)

11. Dauþuz - Schwarzes Wasser (from MONVMENTVM, 2019) [Submitted by Sonny]

12. Teitanblood - The Baneful Choir (from The Baneful Choir, 2019) [Submitted by Daniel]

13. Odz Manouk - The Indisciplinarian (from Odz Manouk, 2010)

14. Watain - Devil's Blood (from Casus Luciferi, 2003)

15. Ovnev - Oxygenation (from Transpiration, 2020) [Submitted by Sonny]

16. Black Mass Pervertor - Pollute the Minds of the Youth (from Lux Sodomiticum, 2020) [Submitted by Vinny]

17. Sinmara - Shattered Pillars (from Aphotic Womb, 2014)

18. Liturgy - Sun of Light (from Aesthethica, 2011) [Submitted by Daniel]

Ben
Ben
July 01, 2023 03:16 AM

Sonny indirectly called me soft after last month's playlist (I totally deserved it), so I was determined to include more evil and darkness for this one. I also made a big attempt to include mostly modern releases (it would have been easy to go with the obvious Darkthrone, Mayhem etc.), from bands I don't hear people talking about very much. I hope someone finds something new and exciting.

July 01, 2023 07:40 AM

I wasn't implying that you were soft Ben (I would never accuse an Aussie of softness!) Merely that the playlist in question tended away from the style of black metal that I particularly enjoy towards the more sophisticated end of the black metal spectrum.

Anyway, I am especially looking forward to this one and will be blasting it throughout the day.

Ben
Ben
July 01, 2023 07:46 AM

Haha, I know you weren't actually implying that I'm soft. I'm just messing around. :smile:

I did take it as an opportunity to produce a more consistently dark playlist though, after trying to cover all the subgenre bases in previous months. Some of the attendee chosen tracks are less intense, but all the tracks I chose are pretty dark.

July 01, 2023 08:21 AM

You’re not soft Ben. It’s just your musical taste, personality & physicality really.

Ben
Ben
July 01, 2023 12:46 PM

You’re not soft Ben. It’s just your musical taste, personality & physicality really.

Quoted Daniel

I'm telling mum! You're going to get the wooden spoon for being so mean!

July 01, 2023 12:47 PM

Quoted Daniel

Oooh, that's nasty!!

Anyway Ben, I don't know what to say. You have absolutely nailed it this month. In fact, it is rather embarrassing that the most "wimpy" track is one that I myself suggested (Ovnev). That one track aside, this is two hours of palpable evilness that more than satisfied the devil in me!! To do it without resorting to the more obvious candidates merely adds more kudos to your efforts this month. Consider me impressed.
[I will do a more in-depth analysis at some later date, all being well.]

July 08, 2023 05:03 PM

There is so much I enjoyed on this month's playlist that I don't quite know where to begin my analysis.  First off, where the fuck have Dauþuz been all my life, weird themed (traditional mining practices and history) black metal from Germany?  What's not to like?  Secondly, why have I not paid more attention to Nightbringer given the Naas Alcameth involvement and I fucking love Akhlys?  Thirdly, Teitanblood are bang up my alley also yet I have dedicated zero attention to them until today (an issue that will be rectified in the coming weeks I promise you).

I didn't mind the Deafheaven track even if I am honest.  I would not describe it as appropriate fodder for The North clan but when viewed as something different it landed okay with me overall, albeit I am not rushing out to discover more.  Plebeian Grandstand were interesting with their odd core/bm mix up going on - will be checking out more of their stuff as a respected internet acquaintance of mine speaks highly of them. 

Other highlights were Odz Manouk,  Sinmara, Inquisition, Zhrine and Sargeist - all of whom I am familiar with of course.

My only gripe was The Great Old Ones.  I have heard a lot of praise for these guys but that track did not justify that praise to my ears.

Thanks Ben for putting together.