June 2023 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post May 31, 2023 08:59 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=106b15f070dc4746

1. Akhlys - Somniloquy (from Melinoë, 2020)

2. Esoctrilihum - Saturnian Bloodstorm (from Astraal Constellations of the Majickal Zodiac, 2023)

3. Lamp of Murmuur - Hymns of Death, Rays of Might (from Saturnian Bloodstorm, 2023)

4. Austere - Sullen (from Corrosion of Hearts, 2023)

5. Sól án varma - Afbrigði VII (from Sól án varma, 2023)

6. Ifernach - La dernière peresgrination d'Étienne Bois Brûlé (from Waqan, 2020)

7. Djevel - I daudens dimme natt (from Naa skrider natten sort, 2022) [Submitted by Vinny]

8. Mico - Zigurat (from Zigurat, 2022)

9. Sadness - I Want To Be There (from I Want To Be There, 2019) [Submitted by Daniel]

10. Tilintetgjort - Vinter og høst (from In Death I Shall Arise, 2023) [Submitted by Vinny]

11. Árstíðir Lifsins - Gamalt ríki faðmar þá grænu ok svǫrtu hringi lífs ok aldrslita (from Saga á tveim tungum II: Eigi fjǫll né firðir, 2020) [Submitted by Sonny]

12. Ymir - Pagan Mysticism (from Ymir, 2020)

13. Hyrgal - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (from Session fun​é​raire anno MMXXIII, 2023) [Submitted by Vinny]

14. Emperor - Thus Spake the Nightspirit (from Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, 1997) [Submitted by Sonny]

15. Trhä - Alandlhan ëlh Nítak (from Nvenlanëg, 2020)

June 26, 2023 12:19 PM

Interesting playlist this month Ben. It felt like it had a very "modern" slant to it. I must admit I was longing for a bit more savagery and evilness as it progressed, but I guess the nature of black metal is moving ever away from what it stood for in the Nineties and it is becoming much more experimental and/or melodic as it is assimilated into the musical zeitgeist. I suppose I sound like an old bastard moaning about how things were better in my day (they were!!), but I miss the blasphemic, two-fingers-to-the-world attitude of the bands of yore. Enough bitching anyway, big plusses were Akhlys (obviously), Lamp of Murmuur and Ifernach in addition to my own choices of Árstíðir Lifsins and Emperor. I just can't get my head around Sadness being on a black metal playlist, though - sorry.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 26, 2023 09:54 PM

Not enough evil in my North playlist?! That's something I'll have to remedy next month. :skull:

As for Sadness, I agree that blackgaze doesn't sit well next to more traditional black metal. I've discovered some blackgaze that I enjoy, but Sadness has been a real challenge for me too.

June 26, 2023 10:42 PM

Not enough evil in my North playlist?! That's something I'll have to remedy next month. :skull:

Quoted Ben

I'm looking forward to it already!!