May 2023 "The North" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post April 30, 2023 08:39 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Sw9mEcyXo1pGyFHR3znLT?si=5ec488ae316d4bf2

1. Keep of Kalessin - Katharsis (from Katharsis, 2023)

2. Sarastus - Open the Noxious Veins (from The Deceased Dwell in Darkness, 2019) [Submitted by Vinny]

3. Burzum - Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments (from Filosofem, 1996)

4. Hoplites - Ἔκτρωμα (from Τρωθησομένη, 2023)

5. Totalselfhatred - Enlightenment (from Totalselfhatred, 2008)

6. Aara - Emphase der Seelenpein (from Triade III: Nyx, 2023)

7. Labyrinthus Stellarum - Void Dwellers (from Tales of the Void, 2023)

8. Furia - Opętaniec (from Nocel, 2014)

9. Imperium Dekadenz - The Night Whispers to the Wise (from Dämmerung der Szenarien, 2007) [Submitted by Vinny]

10. Marduk - Beyond the Grace of God (from Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered, 1996)

11. Winterhorde - Worms of Soul (from Maestro, 2016)

12. Alcest - Faiseurs de mondes (from Les voyages de l'ame, 2012) [Submitted by Daniel]

13. Portrayal of Guilt - Devil Music (from Devil Music, 2023)

14. Ulver - Capitel V: Bergtatt - Ind i fjeldkamrene (from Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler, 1995)

15. Nordicwinter - A Blissful Twilight Death (from Threnody, 2007) [Submitted by Vinny]

16. Abigail Williams - Flood (from In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns, 2008)

17. Conqueror - Domitor Invictus (from War.Cult.Supremacy, 1999) [Submitted by Daniel]

18. Amesoeurs - Bonheur amputé (from Ruines humaines, 2006)

19. Darkspace - Dark 3.11 (from Dark Space III, 2008)

May 07, 2023 04:22 PM

I think this is actually the May playlist Ben! Whichever month it may or may not be, it was a sterling effort. It had an especially strong atmospheric black representation this month I thought, with Ulver, Burzum, Dark Space, Imperial Dekadenz and the new Aara being especially awesome. In fact, the only track that didn't really do it for me was the Abigail Williams track. Labyrinthus Stellarum and Totalselfhatred are two takeaways I need to explore further. Nicely done Ben and thanks for the effort to put together such a great list - it made my Sunday afternoon!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
May 07, 2023 08:38 PM

Oops. Yes, you're correct. This is the May playlist. Glad you enjoyed it!

May 08, 2023 02:34 PM

It is always a pleasure to listen to Burzum, Dark Space, Ulver or Imperial Dekadenz and so this month's playlist did not disappoint.  I just cannot get on with Aara though despite numerous attempts and I have noted a growing aversion to symphonic bm as I grow older so that wrote off a few tracks for me.  Standouts for me were Totalselfhatred and Conqueror.

I am still trying to get my head around Portrayal of Guilt and Hoplites if honest.  Had no time whatsoever for Amesoeurs or Winterhorde.  Still a strong month as I always come away with something new to check out after listening each month.