So, What's Up With Black Metal This Year?

First Post August 20, 2022 05:58 PM

There seems to be a dearth of really decent black metal albums this year. I quite liked the new DsO, the BaN album wasn't bad and Archgoat did what Archgoat do, but I haven't heard much to really grab my attention otherwise. Has Black Metal finally shot it's bolt, or do you know otherwise?

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 28, 2022 10:02 PM

I personally think 2022 has been a solid if not amazing year for the genre so far. There have been lots of interesting releases that I've enjoyed, with many of them not really sounding like other albums I've heard previously. Below is my top 10 so far, so maybe there's something for you to check out there?

1. Scarcity - Aveilut
  2. White Ward - False Light
  3. Ultha - All That Has Never Been True
  4. Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Undreamable Abysses
  5. Nocturnal Triumph - Nocturnal Triumph
  6. Det eviga leendet - Reverence
  7. Celeste - Assassine(s)
  8. Tómarúm - Ash in Realms of Stone Icons
  9. Deathspell Omega - The Long Defeat
  10. Wiegedood - There's Always Blood at the End of the Road
August 28, 2022 11:01 PM

Thanks Ben. I have heard and enjoyed the DsO and BaN albums, but I wasn't impressed by Celeste. I'll check out some of the others pretty soon though. Have you listened to the Blackbraid album? Vinny recced it to me and it is very good.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 30, 2022 04:39 AM

I included a Blackbraid track on one of the playlist (Vinny's rec I think) and recall thinking it was good. Will have to check out the album at some point.

August 30, 2022 07:00 AM

I am not as focussed on current year releases as perhaps other members are so any releases I stumble across from the current year that I like enough to retain a copy influences how "good" a year it is.  I still find far more interesting releases from days gone by and it is these I seek out ahead of staying on top of any current year releases.  Wiegedood is the only release of note (still getting to grips with Blackbraid) from the year so far.  Have not heard anything else off that list from Ben barring the odd BAN track and I was unimpressed.  Celeste are on my radar but I am still in 2017 in terms of their discography.