The Blackgaze Thread

First Post May 20, 2022 08:28 PM

Alcest - "Souvenirs d'un autre monde" (2007)

*Stands up in front of his peers*

Daniel: “Hi everyone. My name is Daniel & I’m a kvlt elitist.”

*insert round of applause from his sympathetic peers*

Sometimes in life you just have to admit that you don’t know everything. You may have thought you did at one point but then the gift of hindsight comes back to emphatically show you that what you thought you categorically knew previously was misguided & delusional & that’s kinda how I feel about French blackgaze originators Alcest these days. You see, when I finally returned to the metal scene in 2009 after a decade of electronic music indulgence I felt that I had a lot of catching up to do so I threw myself head-first into every extreme metal-related release of significance from the years of my defection. Unfortunately though, my mind was still firmly playing by the rules of my late 80’s/mid 90’s hey day as I simply wasn’t open to some of the new & more adventurous sounds I was hearing. In my mind black metal needed to be insanely dark, relentlessly brutal & inherently Satanic so when I first heard Alcest’s take on the genre I headed straight over to one end of the polarization line & stood my ground militantly. I kidded myself that I was open-minded & that these new sounds simply didn't offer much of substance. Hell, I even dragged Ben along to see Alcest perform live on their 2011 tour in support of the re-recorded version of their "Le Secret" E.P. but still came away saying that they were boring & uninteresting with my arms folded & my best Quorthon impression etched on my face. Fast forward to 2022 & I can certainly still understand my prior position as I still prefer my black metal to be of the variety I’ve just described but I’ve also grown as a person with time, age & experience gifting me with a greater appreciation for a more diverse array of musical styles & the improved ability to be a able to judge a release on its own merits rather than what I’d like it to be. As a result, I’m coming into Alcest’s debut album with a completely new set of ears & it’s warmly rewarded me for it.

Unlike Alcest’s ground-breaking debut E.P. “Le Secret” which saw the blackgaze subgenre being thrust upon the world for the very first time, “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” is often claimed to be a more traditional shoegaze release with the post-metal tag also being used to describe it. I can see why people may want to go in that direction as these six tracks are completely devoid of shrieking black metal screams, instead seeing band leader Neige opting for a sweet, melodic, whispy, unintimidating & child-like clean approach that is very much in line with what you’d expect to hear on your average dream pop release. A couple of the tracks are more aligned with shoegaze from an instrumental perspective too with their jangly wall of guitar sound being performed at a more restrained tempo that summons rock a lot more than it does metal (see the title track & “Ciel errant”). Closer “Tir Nan Og” is the clear anomaly in the tracklisting as it steers well clear of rock or metal altogether & sounds more like Celtic new age music than anything else but the remainder of the album sees me being tempted to make the link to black metal strongly enough to result in me reluctantly placing “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” into the black metal bin alongside the Mayhems, Bathorys & Emperors. You see, although tracks like “Printemps émeraude”, “Les iris” & “Sur l'autre rive je t'attendrai” clearly draw inspiration from conventional shoegaze, the often tremolo-picked melodic guitar riffs simply feel far too closely aligned with the black metal atmosphere to deny. The use of fast, pseudo-blast beats on a couple of the tracks only strengthens that association & at the end of the album I can't help but feel that I’ve witnessed something that falls far too close to black metal for me to continue to deny it of its passage into the Metal Academy clan system. Where the association with post-metal comes from is more of a mystery though as, despite the use of the occasional atmospheric acoustic section, “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” is still very much a riff-based release & doesn’t rely on textured, slow-building & climactic post-rock structures.

Once I’d come to the surprising realisation that this album may actually have some link & resemblance to the extreme metal sounds I held so dear, the next step in my recovery from black metal elitism was to allow Alcest the opportunity to impress me as a piece of art & I’ll be damned if “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” isn’t a mighty fine record in its own right when you finally give it a chance after leaving your expectations at the door. The production job is bright & glistening, the cover art captures the atmosphere of the child-like innocence contained within wonderfully & the warm feeling of comfort the songs leave you with is endearing & self-reflective. None of that is anything I strive to achieve when streaming your average black metal release to my car stereo mind you but after finally giving in to Alcest’s world I have to ask myself why it has to be? Sure, I don’t regard any of these six tracks as raging metal classics that’ll stay with me in my Hall of Metal Glory for all eternity but to deny that I enjoy them any longer would not be representative of the place where my more expansive modern taste palate has transitioned to over time.

I have Xephyr’s The Infinite feature release submission of Alcest’s excellent 2016 fifth album “Kodama” from quite a few months ago now to thank for encouraging me to finally return back to the band’s earlier work which I’d previously dismissed. Perhaps I don’t enjoy “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” quite as much as I do that release which I feel falls outside of the scope of the metal spectrum altogether but there’s not all that much between the two & its opened the door for me to re-evaluate the rest of Alcest’s back catalogue with new ears too now. Can I see why “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” is the band’s most highly celebrated release? Yeah definitely. It’s got an accessibility that gives it a very broad range of appeal across a wide cross-section of music lovers. Is that a negative? It might frustrate a teenage me to hear me say it these days but the answer is not in the slightest.

For fans of Jesu, Lantlôs & Sun Devoured Earth.

4/5

July 15, 2022 01:03 PM

Alcest - "Écailles de lune" (2010)

I didn't have much time for French blackgaze outfit Alcest's 2010 sophomore album at the time of release as I simply couldn't accept a wispy, ethereal & generally positive sound within the context of extreme metal at the time. It just seemed too much at odds with my concept of what a black metal record should be. I think it says a lot about how far I've come as a music fan that I'm now able to not only accept but actually enjoy albums like this one these days. It's simply a matter of accepting that this isn't meant to fit into my personal ideals & needs to be judged on its own merits instead of being placed next to my beloved Bathorys & Mayhems.

"Écailles de lune" sees Alcest presenting combination of shoegaze, black metal & post-rock elements (along with some noticeably goth rock inspired clean guitar sections) in what I'd describe as a post-blackgaze release overall. The vocal style ranges from dreamy, unintimidating & androgynous clean singing to screamy black metal shrieks while the instrumentation offers a lot of variety with noise-laden shoegaze walls of sound leading into blasting black metal tremolo-picked riffage & stripped back post-rock meanderings. My enjoyability of the material included across the six tracks also varies quite a bit too with the brilliantly executed short dark ambient piece "Abysses" being my clear album highlight. Opener "Écailles de lune - Part 1" & the wonderful "Solar Song" see Alcest indulging in your more traditional shoegaze melodicism while closer "Sur l'océan couleur de fer" opts for a drawn-out post-rock excursion. The black metal elements are mainly left for post-black metal anthem "Écailles de lune - Part 2" & the disappointing blackgaze of "Percées de lumière" which is the only one of the six tracks on offer that I don't get along with.

The production job is of course lush & accessible with everything sounding very easy on the ear. It's interesting how Alcest can manage to use the black metal tools of evil in such a positive way but still make it sound so natural. It certainly makes for another interesting Alcest release but I can't say that I enjoy "Écailles de lune" quite as much as I do some of their other albums like 2016's "Kodama" or their 2007 debut "Souvenirs d'un autre monde". I don't think I find it's appeal to be quite as consistent this time & the inclusion of "Percées de lumière" does tend to grate on me a little bit when you consider that there are only the six tracks on offer. Still... I get quite a bit of enjoyment out of "Écailles de lune" these days & can't really fathom how I could have scored it a 2.5/5 back in the day given that I was actually pretty close to going with a 4/5 on this revisit.

For fans of Amesoeurs, Deafheaven & Lantlôs.

3.5/5

July 24, 2022 09:09 AM

Deafheaven - "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" (2018)

2013's "Sunbather" record was one of the most divisive I can remember in my extreme metal journey & it's not hard to see why either but I'm not afraid to confidently state that I fell firmly into the camp that thought it was a masterstroke. Deafheaven's debut album "Roads to Judah" was a really solid example of post-blackgaze however "Sunbather" saw the band maximizing all aspects of their sound &, in doing so, set the metal world alight. Given the magnitude of that album, future Deafheaven releases were always going to be compared to it & that can probably be seen as a disadvantage, particularly given the tendency for people to prejudge based on past experiences. And this brings us to Deafheaven's fourth full-length album "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" which sees the band taking their sound even further away from the black metal scene's comfort zone.

If you come in looking for black metal here then you'll be disappointed as there's really very little on offer apart from George Clarke's Ihsahn-like gurgles. In fact, it's quite hard to identify much in the way of any sort of metal for most of the record to tell you the truth. Instead the instrumentation draws from widely disparate (yet universally accessible) forms of rock music & manages to pull it all off with an ease that only the elite artists in the scene can manage. Melodic shoegaze? Tick. Stripped-back post-rock meanderings? Tick. Whispy dream pop vocals? Tick. Lush & progressive art rock excursions? Tick. Ethereal darkwave atmosphere? Tick.... & all executed with aplomb too. Opening track "You Without End" offers about the only weak point on the record via some ill-guided black metal shrieks layered over some particularly easy-listening art rock instrumentation which sounds well out of place. Thankfully the musicians execute their parts with enough sophistication to leave the track feeling predominantly positive as a whole but I have to admit that it was a strange decision to open with the weakest number on the tracklisting. From that point on Deafheaven don't put a foot wrong but in saying that they don't ever really see me thinking about reaching for my higher scores either. I guess the musical positivity that Deafheaven surround themselves with is still a little too far away from my sweet spot for that however I can't deny that they've managed to fully realize yet another brave & ambitious artistic undertaking here.

The more intense parts are still my favourite parts which won't surprise anyone but the indulgent post-rock sections are nothing short of lovely too. It's interesting that, despite the lack of genuine metal here, I still think the album is best described as post-blackgaze, mainly because George's vocals simply don't belong anywhere outside of the metal spectrum. There's not even all that much shoegaze on offer here either but there isn't another black metal-related subgenre that could possibly encompass the positivity in these melodic themes so it just seems to fit.

I'm honestly not sure that Deafheaven can put a foot wrong at this point no matter what subgenre they tackle & "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" is yet another strong release that sees them flexing their creative muscles. Thankfully the extreme metal world seems to be ready for it too.

For fans of Alcest, Ghost Bath & Oathbreaker.

4/5

December 31, 2022 09:41 PM

Deafheaven - "Roads To Judah" (2011)

San Francisco blackgaze outfit Deafheaven certainly got a few people’s attention with their 2010 demo & I had a bit of time for it myself but it was their debut full-length “Roads To Judah” that really grabbed my attention, pissing off many a kvlt elitist in the process too. You see, despite their undeniable black metal aesthetics, Deafheaven somehow manage to beautifully incorporate the dreamy melodic ideas of the shoegaze genre into their riffs which on paper would seem to be a very poor fit for black metal but in practice sounds like a bit of a masterstroke. The contrast the relentless blast-beats & tortured screams offer to the shoegaze chord changes is certainly different yet I find it to be strangely soothing & somehow both uplifting & melancholic at the same time. Deafheaven went on to master that sound with their classic 2013 sophomore album “Sunbather” but their debut should not be overlooked as it’s a very solid piece of work in its own right.

“Roads To Judah” is a relatively short album by modern standards, clocking in at just 38 minutes in duration which feels appropriate at its completion. The four lengthy tracks all have merit & generally explore multiple different soundscapes within the same piece which often sees the album receiving a dual tagging of blackgaze & post-metal as a result. The blackgaze tag is certainly warranted as the majority of the record is black metal focused & the influence of shoegaze is undeniable on at least three-quarters of the tracklisting. I’d suggest that the post-metal tag is a little ambitious though. Sure, there are several post-rock inspired sections scattered across the album but the blackgaze material is much more prominent & I think that tag inherently covers a bit of post-rock influence anyway so to my ears the post-metal element is more of a secondary component. Front man George Clarke’s blackened shrieks would unquestionably get better over the coming years but he does an admirable job here, as does drummer Trevor Deschryver who blasts away with everything he’s got but would be replaced shortly afterwards by the more obviously talented Daniel Tracy before the recording of “Sunbather”.

Despite being somewhat enamoured with the quality of the overtly blackgaze inclusions, I can’t help but find the track that showcases the least amount of shoegaze influence to be the clear highlight of the album in closer “Tunnel Of Trees” which begins with five minutes of savage black metal extremity & finishes with another five of glistening post-metal atmospherics. It’s a stunning piece of work that really sees the album finishing on a high. The rest of the tracklisting is of a consistently high quality but fails to connect with me on quite the same level, presumably due to the lack of genuine darkness in some of the chord changes & atmospherics. “Language Games” is probably the best example of that as it begins in fine fashion but loses its way a touch around the middle of the song with some lighter-weight melodic ideas. It’s very hard to fault tracks like “Violet” & “Unrequited” though as they seem to complete their mission with emphatic success, despite my tendencies towards a darker brand of extreme metal.

It’s very easy to be critical of “Roads To Judah” by being drawn into like-for-like comparison with its successor but “Sunbather” hadn’t been recorded when I first wrapped my ears around “Roads to Judah” so I wasn’t afforded that luxury until some time later & it deserves to be experienced as an isolated piece of work in its own right regardless. You know what? Fuck the elitists that brutally put this band down because they don’t deserve it. It’s all posturing bullshit as these guys know their black metal alright but they also give it their own original spin that sounds as professional as it does musical. Deafheaven can’t put a foot wrong & sit at the pinnacle of their chosen subgenre as far as I’m concerned.

4/5

January 16, 2023 08:56 AM

Asunojokei - "Island" (2022)

I recently read Ben's review of this popular sophomore album from Tokyo, Japan & wasn't surprised to see him give it a thorough panning. I guess the blackgaze meets post-hardcore tag was a little scary for me too if I'm being honest & I suspected that it might not be for me either but that hasn't ended up being the case in the end. Despite the numerous examples of non-metal genres scattered across the tracklisting (post-hardcore, screamo, downtempo, etc.), "Island" is definitely a metal record; a black metal related one to be more specific. The shoegaze component may not be as prominent as it is on some releases but there can be no denying the generally positive feel to almost all of the riffs & melodies on offer because Asunojokai seem to be a consciously working against all traditional black metal calling cards here, even though they're clearly using black metal tools such as open-string tremolo-picked chords & blast-beats. The vocal delivery sounds very similar to Emperor front man Ihsahn & is pretty effective but it's the class in the executive & production that really shine here & make it hard not to enjoy "Island". The level of musicianship is outstanding which seems to be a prerequisite for most Japanese metal these days. It's a shame that the album peters out at the end with a couple of tracks that overdo the positive vibes because the majority of the tracklisting is really pretty comparable to bands like Deafheaven or Alcest, if taking things another step further in regard to the uplifting melodies. The cover artwork is also a little bemusing given that it's so clearly making a conscious attempt to push the elitists buttons. Regardless of these flaws though, there's easily enough quality (black) metal here to keep me interested, even if a record like "Island" was never going to make a play for my best-of lists.

3.5/5

January 16, 2023 09:10 AM

Here's my new Top Ten Blackgaze Releases of All Time list:

01. Deafheaven - "Sunbather" (2013)

02. Woods of Desolation - "Torn Beyond Reason" (2011)

03. Deafheaven - "Roads to Judah" (2011)

04. Deafheaven - "New Bermuda" (2015)

05. Alcest - "Kodama" (2016) 

06. Deafheaven - "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" (2018) 

07. Lantlôs - ".neon" (2010) 

08. Alcest - "Écailles de lune" (2010)

09. Asunojokei - "Island" (2022) 

10. Alcest - "Le secret" (2011) E.P.

https://metal.academy/lists/single/204

March 21, 2023 11:12 PM

Alcest - "Les voyages de l'âme" (2012)

I’ve undergone quite the transformation with French blackgaze godfathers Alcest over the last couple of years. I’d previously struggled with their whispy positivity & dreamy atmospheres but I’ve finally come to grips with them in my old age & now tend to find a lot of enjoyment in the majority of their releases. It’s been a good decade since I’ve heard their 2012 third album “Les voyages de l'âme” though & my recollections are that it was another record that I found to be too lightweight for my taste at the time but, given my newly found affection for Alcest, I won’t be surprised if this record is yet another one that sees me awarding one of my more respectable ratings in retrospect.

I’ve enjoyed both of Alcest’s first two albums in recent times, particularly the blackgaze of their 2007 debut “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” which offered less of a post-rock influence than 2010’s “Écailles de lune”. “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” ended up being more a post-blackgaze effort & I didn’t connect with it on quite the same level. With “Les voyages de l'âme” we see Alcest pushing their shoegaze sound a little harder again which sees it being the primary genre here. The black metal component is certainly still relevant though with songs like “Là où naissent les couleurs Nouvelles”, “Beings of Light” & “Faiseurs de mondes” offering enough black metal characteristics to justify a dual blackgaze tag. The strong post-rock elements that played such a strong role on “Écailles de lune” have been eased off a bit here & I don’t think “Les voyages de l'âme” justifies a place in The Infinite. If you were a fan of Alcest’s previous material then I don’t think you’ll be terribly surprised with what you hear as this record essentially pulls together all of the elements that were already at play on past releases & presents them in a highly professional way that sees the listener taking a deep breath, recoiling back within themselves & returning to joyous times of youthful adventure.

It’s blatantly clear that Alcest are a class act thoughout the 50 minute runtime. The effortlessness with which they create their nostalgic, dreamlike soundscapes is impressive with Neige’s dream pop-style vocals washing over the listener with a child-like feeling of comfort. Tracks like the title track & closer “Summer's Glory” sit far more in the My Bloody Valentine camp than in anything Metal Academy covers while the gorgeous two-minute post-rock instrumental “Havens” is perhaps the best moment on the album with its ambient sophistication removing any sort of stress from my limbs & torso. I don’t think it’s surprising that the more aggressive black metal influenced material is more appealing to my ears than the straight up shoegaze stuff though & it’s the wonderful use of sweeping tremolo-picked riffs that gets me going more than the occasional blast beats or blackened shrieks.

“Les voyages de l'âme” is another very strong Alcest record in my opinion. Most metalheads seem to have a strong preference for the band’s first two albums (perhaps due to their greater black metal component) but I’m a bit unusual (I know, a big shock, hey?) in that I prefer their later material with 2016’s “Kodama” (an album that I don’t regard as being a metal release) still being my favourite Alcest full-length. “Les voyages de l'âme” has done really well to just edge out “Souvenirs d'un autre monde” for second place & I’ve very much enjoyed the experience. Perhaps it might be worth me taking a return visit to Alcest’s 2014 follow-up “Swelter” (an album that I’ve previously had no time for) now to see if my feelings have changed there too. In an analogy that seems strangely apt for a band like this one, it’s been really exciting to finally discover the gooey centre at the heart of the Alcest donut.

4/5

P.S. "Hello, is this Alcest? Yes, hi there. It's Opeth calling from Sweden. I can see that you've borrowed our album cover. Would you mind returning it immediately?"

April 23, 2023 10:02 PM

Sadness - "I Want to Be There" (2019)

Given my newly acquired taste for the niche blackgaze subgenre, I thought it might be time to reassess the very popular “I Want To Be There” album from Mexican-expat & one-man extreme metal producer Sadness who now resides in Illinois, USA. I’m not across all of his extensive back catalogue as he’s extremely prolific but I’ve tended to keep up with all of his major releases & this one (unbelievably something like his seventeenth full-length) is widely regarded as being amongst his best.

I suppose the Deafheaven comparisons were inevitable when you take a look at the pink cover art & it’s hard to imagine that it wasn’t an attempt to tap into the same market when you see the similarities in colour but I actually find the image to be quite attractive & to be a very nice representation of the music which is a common theme with Sadness. A quick look through his artist page will show you that he treats his artwork as an extension of his music & has made somewhat of an artform of it. The only caveat is that you need to let go of your black metal illusions & treat his offerings purely as art which is very much what they are.

“I Want To Be There” is a 40 minute album including just the six (generally pretty lengthy) tracks. Damián Antón Ojeda traverses a few different sounds here but the result comes across as fairly unified regardless, mainly due to the general commitment to dreamy atmospherics regardless of which genre is being explored. The main component is obviously the blackgaze one with fuzzy walls of glistening guitars, crashing cymbals & layers of noise being the order of the day. Damián’s screamed vocals are kept towards the back of the mix which makes them completely indecipherable & they remind the listener of the tortured howls frequently used on depressive black metal releases. The general positivity of the instrumentation never allows the audience to be led into sheer hopelessness though & feels far more palatable to me. The other major element of the Sadness sound is that of post-rock & I find myself reaching for comparisons to Sigur Rós quite regularly during the more epic moments in particular. There’s a greater level of melancholy here than the Icelandic post-rock gods would likely want to muster though & Damián’s moniker would seem to be quite an apt one, despite the uplifting nature of a lot of the material.

There are a couple of very strong tracks included here & they open either side of the record (see “In The Distant Travels” & my personal favourite “I Want To Be There”). I don’t think there’s any surprise that those tend to be the tracks that veer closer to the black metal path with slightly less overtly positive themes. “I Want To Be With You” seems to be clearly the most popular track on the tracklisting & this doesn’t surprise me either as it’s a pure post-rock number that’s completely free of black metal shrieks with a choir of children being used instead. The regular use of extended post-rock sections are outstanding but I struggled with the short ambient noise wall piece “Moments” & also the second half of “You Dance Like The June Sky” which takes me a bit further outside my comfort zone than I’d like. Despite these blemishes, the positives easily out-weigh the negatives & I was pleasantly surprised by how much I got into some of the more whispy, dreamy & almost trancey sections. Damián certainly never goes as far as an artist like Trhä or Mesarthim might have with the uplifting synth-driven stuff, choosing to stay in slightly more introspective territory.

At the end of the day a record like “I Want To Be There” is probably never going to float my boat as much as the more aggressive Deafheaven material or the child-like nostalgia of Alcest but I can’t deny its appeal nonetheless. I may be mellowing in my old age or perhaps I’m simply better able to separate this sort of sound from my beloved black metal scene but Sadness definitely has its place in the extreme metal marketplace alongside artists like Lantlôs & White Ward as it’s a well-composed & executed example of the post-blackgaze sound that may not offer anything drastically different but is polished & professional enough to keep me entertained regardless.

3.5/5

Here's my new Top Ten Blackgaze Releases of All Time list:

02. Woods of Desolation - "Torn Beyond Reason" (2011)

03. Deafheaven - "Roads to Judah" (2011)

04. Deafheaven - "New Bermuda" (2015)

05. Alcest - "Kodama" (2016)

06. Deafheaven - "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" (2018)

07. Lantlôs - ".neon" (2010)

08. Alcest - "Écailles de lune" (2010)

09. Sadness - "I Want To Be There" (2019)

10. Asunojokei - "Island" (2022)

May 21, 2023 08:16 PM

Deafheaven - "10 Years Gone" (2020)

A live in the studio affair that the band decided to record after the tour they'd prepared for was cancelled due to COVID. It's a splendid outing too & includes material spanning the whole course of the Deafheaven's decade-long career. The production is wonderfully bright & clear & the performances are absolutely spot-on breathing new life into tracks like "Language Games" & album highlight "Baby Blue". There's not anything that falls short of being a very solid example of the post-blackgaze sound here & fans of the band should treat this release as essential listening.

For fans of Alcest, An Autumn For Crippled Children & Lantlôs.

4/5

Here's my updated Top Ten Blackgaze Releases of All Time list:

02. Deafheaven - "10 Years Gone" (2020)

03. Woods of Desolation - "Torn Beyond Reason" (2011)

04. Deafheaven - "Roads to Judah" (2011)

05. Deafheaven - "New Bermuda" (2015)

06. Alcest - "Kodama" (2016)

07. Deafheaven - "Ordinary Corrupt Human Love" (2018)

08. Lantlôs - ".neon" (2010)

09. Alcest - "Écailles de lune" (2010)

10. Sadness - "I Want To Be There" (2019)