The Symphonic Black Metal Thread

First Post April 03, 2022 05:57 AM

So for this weekend's top ten list I decided to compile my Top Ten Symphonic Black Metal Releases of All Time. See what you think.

01. Emperor – “In The Nightside Eclipse” (1994)

02. Emperor – “Live Inferno” (2009)

03. Emperor – “Anthems To The Welkin At Disk” (1997)

04. Cradle Of Filth – “V Empire or Dark Faerytales in Phallustein” E.P. (1996)

05. Emperor – “Reverence” E.P. (1997)

06. Cradle Of Filth – “Dusk… & Her Embrace” (1996)

07. Dimmu Borgir – “Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia” (2001)

08. Dimmu Borgir – “Death Cult Armageddon” (2003)

09. Samael – “Passage” (1996)

10. Dimmu Borgir – “Spiritual Black Dimensions” (1999)

https://metal.academy/lists/single/171

April 03, 2022 07:02 AM

I must admit to struggling with most symphonic black metal, with the obvious exception of Emperor. Wonder why they were so much better at it than everyone else? Great to see you have Live Inferno rated so highly, Daniel. It is one of the all-time great metal live albums in my opinion. I would have to echo your top three, so here's my somewhat limited top ten, bearing in mind there is a massive drop-off from #3 to #4:

01. Emperor – “In The Nightside Eclipse” (1994)

02. Emperor – “Live Inferno” (2009)

03. Emperor – “Anthems To The Welkin At Disk” (1997)

04. Caladan Brood - "Echoes of Battle" (2013)

05. Emperor - "IX Equilibrium" (1999)

06. Cradle of Filth - "Middian" (2000)

07. Mist of Misery - "Temple of Stilled Voices EP" (2014)

08. Abhor - "Occulta religiO" (2018)

09. Samael - "Passage" (1996)

10. Sigh - "Hangman's Hymn" (2007)

April 03, 2022 07:31 AM

Yes, I'm in complete agreement with you there Sonny. Emperor were absolutely miles ahead of the rest. I also struggle with the subgenre most of the time too.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
April 03, 2022 10:35 AM

I'm fascinated to see Caladan Brood at number 4 and yet no Summoning. Is it a matter of the apprentice surpassing the master in your opinion? I haven't heard of Mist of Misery, so prob should check it out.

I make sure to include at least one symphonic black metal track in every North playlist, and not just because it should be represented. I've always been a sucker for it when it's done well. That said, I agree that Emperor have yet to be bettered.

April 03, 2022 04:09 PM

I'm fascinated to see Caladan Brood at number 4 and yet no Summoning. Is it a matter of the apprentice surpassing the master in your opinion? I haven't heard of Mist of Misery, so prob should check it out.

I make sure to include at least one symphonic black metal track in every North playlist, and not just because it should be represented. I've always been a sucker for it when it's done well. That said, I agree that Emperor have yet to be bettered.

Quoted Ben

Yes, I think it is Ben. Summoning just feel so OTT to me that they rub me up the wrong way. In all fairness I have only listened to a couple of albums for this reason, so they may have produced a classic I haven't heard.

Symphonic black metal is perfectly valid for inclusion in the North playlists as itseems to be quite a popular sub-genre, it just isn't one I personally enjoy massively. It is a great mystery why Emperor were so much better than all the rest though.

Does anyone else know of a sub-genre where one band so far outclasses all the competition or are Emperor a one-off?