The Black Metal Thread

March 26, 2024 09:55 PM

I have CD copies of both those splits and they are both amazing. I really love this very early Enslaved sound and Vikinglr Veldi is my favourite album of theirs. As you rightly say, Daniel, despite their young ages it was evident from the very off that Enslaved were a cut above most other black metal acts, especially technically and songwriting-wise. They were also savvy enough never to get caught up in the criminality associated with that very early norwegian scene and didn't seem to court much by way of controversy. A truly class act from the very beginning.

March 27, 2024 08:45 PM

Von - "Satanic Blood" demo (1992)

Continuing on with my exploration of some of the old black metal demos I used to listen to back in my tape trading days, Von's third demo tape "Satanic Blood" would go on to become comfortably the most significant American black metal release to the time. I don't think I ever heard Von's two earlier demos but I did think this one was pretty decent back in the day. It's an incredible simplistic & intentionally primitive collection of short songs with each of its eight tracks being built on just a single riff that's repeated for the entirety of the piece with the drumming containing no fills or rolls whatsoever. That might sound unappealing to some but this technique creates that old-school extreme metal atmosphere that I miss so much & would no doubt have an influence on bands like Darkthrone who would utilize a similar technique on their upcoming releases.

The lo-fi production sees the intros suddenly giving way to the proper songs in a ridiculously jerky fashion with the intention apparently being to leave the impression that the tape was produced by a bunch of incompetent goblins & if that was the case then Von have no doubt succeeded. The vocals of guitarist Goat (also of Von Goat) sit more in the death metal space than they do a black metal one but the dodgy use of echo effects is certainly in line with the black metal model & this sees Von drawing comparisons with bands like Beherit, Blasphemy & Profanatica more than to your more pure black metal acts.

In truth, "Satanic Blood" does contain its fair share of flatter moments but the better material carries the release well enough to see it just managing to drag a respectable rating out of me. Opener "Devil Pig" is a pretty engaging way to kick things off but it's the doomy "Veadtuck" & the blasphemous "Christ Fire" that have always been my picks of the bunch. Regardless of what your personal song preference is though, there can be no doubt that "Satanic Blood" was an important release for the American underground & it's certainly worth a few listens for black metal completists, even if it's far from essential from a creative point of view.

3.5/5

March 31, 2024 10:57 PM

Currently going through the Hoplites albums.  Might check out the other Liu Zhenyang projects later.

April 04, 2024 07:59 PM

After hearing the new cabinet and the Hoplites catalog, I've edited my top 100 black metal albums again, but I'm going through Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia since I already kicked Enthrone Darkness Triumphant out.

When I get back into metal, I've got to find one or two more symphonic black acts that will absolutely blow me away.  Why?  Here's my top 10

1. Emperor - Prometheus

2. Emperor - Emperial Live Ceremony

3. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

4. Summoning - Stronghold

5. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

6. Limbonic Art - Moon in the Scorpio

7. Antestor - The Forsaken

8. Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace

9. Emperor - IX Equilibrium

10. Abigail Williams - In the Shadow of a Thousand Suns

So five of my top 10 are Emperor, and four of those are in my top 5.  Now you know why I need a couple others.