July 2021 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post June 30, 2021 08:38 PM

Tracklisting:

01. Caligula’s Horse – “Marigold” (from “Bloom”, 2015) [Submitted by Xephyr]
02. Dog Fashion Disco – “Valley Girl Ventriloquist” (from “Anarchists Of Good Taste”, 2000)
03. Pijn – “Blush” (from “Loss”, 2018)
04. Meshuggah – “Future Breed Machine (Quant’s Quantastical Quantasm” (from “The True Human Design” E.P., 1997)
05. Pain Of Salvation – “Restless Boy” (from “Panther”, 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
06. Praxis – “Stronghold” (from “Sacrifist”, 1994)
07. Thought Industry – “Bearing An Hourglass” (from “Songs For Insects”, 1992)
08. Haken – “The Good Doctor” (from “Vector”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
09. Ayreon – “Daniel’s Descent Into Transitus” (from “Transitus”, 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
10. Holocaust – “The Small Hours” (from “Hypnosis Of Birds”, 1992)
11. Orphaned Land – “From Broken Vessels” (from “The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR”, 2010)
12. Anacrusis – “I Love The World” (from “Manic Impressions”, 1991)
13. Lucid Planet – “On The Way” (from “Lucid Planet II”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]
14. VOLA - “Stone Leader Falling Down” (from “Witness”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]
15. Borknagar – “Colossus” (from “Quintessence”, 2000)
16. Windham Hell – “Wrapped In Plastique” (from “South Facing Epitaph”, 1994)
17. Sigh – “The Soul Grave” (from “Scenes From Hell”, 2010)
18. Enslaved – “Return To Yggdrasill” (from “Isa”, 2004) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
19. Cult Of Luna – “What I Leave Behind” (from “The raging River” E.P., 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]
20. Vektor – “Accelerating Universe” (from “Black Future”, 2009) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]
July 01, 2021 11:30 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Meshuggah – “Future Breed Machine (Quant’s Quantastical Quantasm” (from “The True Human Design” E.P., 1997)

3.5/5. The chaos begins with a bit of an apocalyptic atmosphere that sounds like robotic machines taking over the world; industrial noises, then... Well, not quite the version I wanted to hear, I don't need to say more. I guess that's kind of payback for when I included a Meshuggah interlude in a playlist a few months ago. Touché...

Pain Of Salvation – “Restless Boy” (from “Panther”, 2020)

4/5. This one is a computerized melancholic ballad with electronic vocoder effects that spark up melodies of Cynic, maybe even Daft Punk. More surprises come in as the second half becomes suddenly heavier with frantic vocals and more of those djenty guitars. Man, more of the djenty guitars appear to the point where we can consider this album a less extreme djent!

Haken – “The Good Doctor” (from “Vector”, 2018)

4.5/5. I've remembered enjoying this fun prog-metal song before recently dumping my interest for Haken during my death metal departure despite them not being death metal at all. This has reminded me of that medical drama The Good Doctor!

Ayreon – “Daniel’s Descent Into Transitus” (from “Transitus”, 2020)

4.5/5. A whole new dimension awaits in one of the first parts of a new Ayreon story...

Lucid Planet – “On The Way” (from “Lucid Planet II”, 2020)

4/5. This very strange yet beautiful song shows the vocals by Jade Alice having more harmonic impact before slowing building up to almost a black/folk metal sound that almost makes the song suitable for the North clan, something Lucid Planet had never dared to go before. This aural effect adds to an epic journey with changing textures and sounds. This could very well be suitable for long mountain treks like in the Lord of the Rings movies, and I can feel the tiring side effects even when I'm just sitting down and writing this comment, thanks to the strong feeling of movement.

Enslaved – “Return To Yggdrasill” (from “Isa”, 2004)

4.5/5. Returning to the extreme side of progressive metal, this one starts heavy before primarily becoming acoustic. Herbrand Larsen's melancholic singing makes that song one of the saddest by the band.

Cult Of Luna – “What I Leave Behind” (from “The raging River” E.P., 2021)

4.5/5. This one fills your heart with pain and despair in sludgy destruction. Enough said...

Vektor – “Accelerating Universe” (from “Black Future”, 2009)

5/5. Now this is a more climatic playlist ending than that of the Guardians playlist, the 13 minute true diverse crowning highlight of both its album and this playlist, initially starting with Metallica hammering thrash, it gets more epic and heavier throughout, even developing an amazing psychedelic atmosphere in the halfway point, before building back up into a heavy speedy ending.