May 2021 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post April 30, 2021 07:47 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Wtb5QsNObO9w62f7ThQNF?si=3304d3a1f7f7416a

Tracklisting:

01. Haken – “Invasion” (from “Virus”, 2020) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

02. Shining – “Fisheye” (from “Blackjazz”, 2010)

03. Katla – “Nátthagi” (from “Móðurástin”, 2017)

04. Meshuggah – “Acrid Placidity” (from “Destroy Erase Improve”, 1995) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

05. Dream Theater – “Repentance” (from “Systematic Chaos”, 2007) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

06. Liquid Tension Experiment – “Hypersonic” (from “Liquid Tension Experiment 3”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

07. Seventh Wonder – “By The Light Of The Funeral Pyres” (from “Tiara”, 2018) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

08. Entropia – “Poison” (from “Vacuum”, 2018)

09. Kamelot – “The Great Pandemonium” (from “Poetry For The Poisoned”, 2010) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

10. Chris Poland – “Return to Metalopolis” (from “Return to Metalopolis”, 1990)

11. Secrecy – “Trisomie XXI” (from “Art In Motion”, 1990)

12. Voivod – “Technocratic Manipulators” (from “Dimension Hatröss”, 1988)

13. Symphony X – “Evolution (The Grand Design)” (from “V: The New Mythology Suite”, 2000)

14. Genghis Tron – “Dream Weapon” (from “Dream Weapon”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

15. Old – “Two Of Me (Parts One & Two)” (from “The Musical Dimensions of Sleastak”, 1993)

16. Dvne – “Towers” (from “Etemen Ænka”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

17. Dornenreich – “Trauerbrandung” (from “Her von welken Nächten”, 2001)

18. ERRA – “Lunar Halo” (from “ERRA”, 2021) [Submitted by Xephyr]

19. Periphery – “Icarus Lives” (from “Periphery”, 2010)

May 01, 2021 03:35 AM

My thoughts on some tracks (including my suggested ones):

Haken – “Invasion” (from “Virus”, 2020)

5/5. Starting this playlist perfectly is a song to end my interest in this band in a djent-ish progressive metal bang! It's quite a shame that I'm not feeling interested in this band, because one of the best songs of Haken's newest album (this one) has earlier Leprous vibes that would make some thing of what Gentle Giant sounds like in modern times. This beautifully wonderful songs has lyrics that very well synchronize with the djenty beat, though it might cause some to think of the verses of Billie Eilish's "Bad Guy", which isn't the kind of relation I wanted to think of. The Virus album is great but I actually like their earlier albums more such as Aquarius. But still, good job, guys!

Meshuggah – “Acrid Placidity” (from “Destroy Erase Improve”, 1995)

4.5/5. Wow, an incredible ambient interlude! You might expect Kidman to sing nicely like Burton C. Bell in some Fear Factory ballads, but nope. I guess Kidman just wanted to stay shouting in most of the band's other tracks.

Dream Theater – “Repentance” (from “Systematic Chaos”, 2007)

5/5. This one is suitable for when I feel some slight regret over my recent change of metal interest, like a part of me wishes I hadn't made that move. The low strumming over the 7-minute mark is pretty d*mn chilling. The magical soloing from John Petrucci is one of my favorites from him! This impressive song has still made me grateful for this band to be around to launch my interest in progressive metal. Some might be reminded of Eloy due to the genre's brilliant genius. The song is from the 5-song "Twelve-Step Suite" which chronicles drummer Mike Portnoy's battle against drug/alcohol issues. The concept is so touching, along with song's beautiful simplicity, from the first verse to Pink Floyd-like great ending, all of which are something to love! This is also perfect for helping depressed/suicidal people get better and enjoy life more. I might definitely go listen to the second part of the suite "This Dying Soul" when reviewing this month's Infinite feature release (Train of Thought). Around the 3-minute mark, the instrumentation reminds me of Opeth, before giving me goosebumps with that solo a minute and a half later. Speaking of Opeth, I almost forgot, that band's lead singer Mikael Åkerfeldt, along with Pain of Salvation's Daniel Gildenlöw, Transatlantic's Neal Morse, and various other fellow musicians all speak their own apologies, regrets, and sorrows.

Liquid Tension Experiment – “Hypersonic” (from “Liquid Tension Experiment 3”, 2021)

5/5. John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Jordan Rudess, I salute your astonishing talents in both Dream Theater and this instrumental band Liquid Tension Experiment! I might listen to more of this band and write my own lyrics to the music, and this band has awakened the instrumental progressive metal scene while Animals as Leaders is asleep.

Seventh Wonder – “By The Light Of The Funeral Pyres” (from “Tiara”, 2018)

4.5/5. A kick-A song from a masterpiece album! Nothing else to say there...

Entropia – “Poison” (from “Vacuum”, 2018)

3.5/5. Good attempt at an extreme progressive metal epic, but slightly poisonous to me. Again moving on...

Kamelot – “The Great Pandemonium” (from “Poetry For The Poisoned”, 2010)

4/5. This song is from Kamelot's last album with Roy Khan before he left the band, and it has guest growls by Björn Strid from Soilwork, along with some of the best guitar soloing from the band. Those make the song one of the greatest of the album, though the album doesn't quite reach the epic heights of the surrounding symphonic power metal albums. Good to know that this progressive experiment is a one-time move for this band.

Voivod – “Technocratic Manipulators” (from “Dimension Hatröss”, 1988)

5/5. This is pretty short for a progressive metal song, just as long as that Kamelot song, both each 4 and a half minutes, but this Voivod song demonstrates highly creative originality, packing powerful metal punches. Why did I mention the lengths? Because it can be progressive without turning into a 15-minute epic! After a calm dark ambient intro with a few bass touches, the crossover-ish dynamics erupt with speedy riff rhythms and signature snarling vocals. Near the two-minute mark, the song makes a weird evolution into old-school Hawkwind-like spacey guitar rhythms. Many styles and influences all in dexterous textures in only under 5 minutes. A truly awesome feat!

Symphony X – “Evolution (The Grand Design)” (from “V: The New Mythology Suite”, 2000)

4.5/5. Speaking of great feats, this song would make you want more of this band. Great job!