December 2020 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 30, 2020 08:24 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/21qlVKqiW30R90vBAHs5zc?si=Sz_DnDNWTv-eMnIpdbWHTg

Tracklisting:

01. DGM – “Tragic Separation” (from “Tragic Separation”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]

02. Amorphis – “Of Rich & Poor” (from “Elegy”, 1996)

03. Anubis Gate – “Airways” (from “Horizons”, 2014) [Submitted by Xephyr]

04. Fates Warning – “A Pleasant Shade Of Grey – Part VI” (from “A Pleasant Shade Of Grey”, 1997)

05. Royal Hunt – “Message To God” (from “Paradox”, 1997)

06. Toundra – “Cielo negro (Black Sky)” (from “(III)”, 2012)

07. Evergrey – “Hymns For The Broken” (from “Hymns For The Broken”, 2014) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

08. Corelia – “Blood Petals” (from “Nostalgia” E.P., 2011)

09. Chaos Divine – “Unspoken” (from “Legacies”, 2020) [Submitted by Xephyr]

10. Between The Buried & Me – “Silent Flight Parliament” (from “The Parallax II: Future Sequence”, 2012) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

11. Enslaved – “Neogenesis” (from “Isa”, 2004)

12. Opeth – “The Drapery Falls” (from “Blackwater Park”, 2001) [Submitted by shadowdoom9]

13. Cloudkicker – “Ludendorffbrucke” (from “Solitude”, 2020)

14. Kardashev – “Snow-Sleep” (from “The Baring Of Shadows” E.P., 2020)

15. Thy Catafalque – “Molekuláris gépezetek” (from “Róka Hasa Rádió”, 2009)

December 01, 2020 01:55 AM

My thoughts on some of the tracks (including my suggested songs):

Evergrey – “Hymns For The Broken” (from “Hymns For The Broken”, 2014)

10/10. I haven't heard Evergrey in a long while, but ever since I left my earlier epic metal taste, they have released another album The Atlantic and they've just announced an upcoming album Escape of the Phoenix to be released in February. This is one of the best melodic progressive metal songs I've heard 5 years ago, with the vocalist Tom S. Englund singing his heart out in the perspective of this concept album's suicidal protagonist. There's even a bonus melancholic piano version. Evergrey is an underrated band that deserves more love. Awesome track from a top-notch album that I haven't heard since so long ago!

Between The Buried & Me – “Silent Flight Parliament” (from “The Parallax II: Future Sequence”, 2012)

10/10. This is the climatic 15-minute epic nearing the end of a two-part saga, with the intensity from high to low, and the vocals ranging from growling to clean, often put in a powerful simultaneous combination. Brilliant!

Enslaved – “Neogenesis” (from “Isa”, 2004)

10/10. Yet another attempt at trying to get into enjoying Enslaved, and maybe this is it! An awesome song from a legendary band, taking you on a journey beyond stars, lightyears, and the universe itself, like that "Cygnus" track. This might just be my key to listening to Enslaved...

Opeth – “The Drapery Falls” (from “Blackwater Park”, 2001)

10/10. A favorite for many fans and probably would be until the end of time. I can definitely understand why! An acoustic intro gives way to a nice riff then calms down back to acoustic guitar as the clean vocals join in. Then it gets stampeded by a bombastic chorus that can give you goosebumps. I got goosebumps an hour before the first time I've listened to that song. Perhaps it's foreshadowing...