November 2020 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post October 31, 2020 07:31 PM

It's now November which of course means that we'll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we're asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We're really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don't be shy.

This month's feature release for The Infinite the spectacular debut album from German progressive metallers Disillusion entitled "Back to Times of Splendor".  

https://metal.academy/releases/3818

November 09, 2020 03:52 AM

ugh...

I do not like Disillusion's sound even though I know I should. I just find their music to be so boring and devoid of emotional presence. The music is fine and produced well, but the compositions are so disjointed and held together with the thinnest string imaginable. As I said in my review, I cannot remember a single idea brought forth on this record in comparison to Mabool by Orphaned Land, or Isa by Enslaved, both released in the same year.

5/10

November 10, 2020 07:56 PM

My review has just gone up:

https://metal.academy/reviews/19264/3818

I've really enjoyed returning to this one more than a decade later. It's a very solid debut indeed in my opinion & I've gone with 4/5 rating.

November 15, 2020 01:48 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

As a mostly positive reviewer, I've stumbled upon albums so good, so great, that I give them the high ratings they may or may not deserve. However, there might be one album that goes beyond great, and I mean far beyond... In order for an album to reach this "beyond" status, it has to attract me enough to get the band's full discography ASAP so you can discover new stuff from this legendary group, stay in my playlist for at least 6 months of maybe for eternity, and keep listening to them during that period of time. And that album is... Disillusion's 2004 debut Back to Times of Splendor!! You won't believe how much I love this epic masterpiece with song lengths ranging from 5 to 17 minutes filled with strong riffs, fast drumming, clean melodic singing, aggressive growls, softer sections, heavier sections, and much more to create the ultimate progressive metal adventure! Anyone who doesn't love this album as much I do might be thinking, "He doesn't mean to really give the album 5 stars, he's probably just biased with so many albums rated like that." No, they're all real, especially my rating for this album. I wish I could give Back To Times of Splendor more than just 5 stars, maybe 6, 10, or over 9000! Every moment is excellent, perfectly helped out by the deep meaningful lyrics. Many magnificent influences and elements in and out of metal creates this epic masterpiece of splendor. This is so incredible! I don't know what else to say, other than...Thanks so much for the rec, Daniel. I thought the ultimate album would never come....but it came!

5/5