The Live Album Thread - The Infinite Edition

First Post August 28, 2020 10:32 PM

Leprous - "Live at Rockefeller Music Hall" (2016)

Not only is this double live album the best release I've heard from these Norwegian progressive metallers but it's also the best live album I've ever experienced & my all-time favourite progressive metal release. Utterly mind-blowing stuff! Fans of Ihsahn, Haken & Opeth will absolutely shoot their loads over this shit! In fact, I'd rate it above anything those bands have done to be honest.

5/5

November 01, 2020 12:14 PM

Opeth - "The Roundhouse Tapes" (2007)

A belter of a double live album from the masters of their subgenre. I've had the DVD for probably a decade now but had never tried listening to the album version until now & I've gotta say that I enjoy it more when I can simply focus on what's coming out of the speakers. The tracklisting is spectacular with lengthy & fully realised inclusions that span their entire career & it's very hard to fault the execution or consistency, particularly on the second disk which is mind-blowing. As a bonus, you get to enjoy Mikael Akerfeld's sense of humour which is as much a part of the appeal of an Opeth show as the music is. He's a genuine entertainer & if you have even a passing interest in Opeth then you can't really go wrong with this release. In fact I think this might be my favourite Opeth release these days.

4.5/5