The Progressive Thrash Metal Thread

First Post July 20, 2020 09:17 PM

Mekong Delta - "Mekong Delta" (1987)

Another release that seems to be universally labelled as technical thrash metal but is far more progressive than it is technical in my opinion. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is first & foremost a progressive metal release that regularly utilizes thrash & speed metal as tools. I mean if you look at it closely you'll find that a good four of the nine tracks aren't fast or thrashy. It's a pretty good record too although it's definitely disadvantaged by opening with two of its weaker tracks & then closing with another which means that you start & finish with a negative mind set & it requires a couple of listens to reassess those initial feelings. In truth, the middle of the album is actually pretty strong. The vocals are a bit hit & miss although they often remind me of Soundgarden's Chris Cornell (my all-time favourite singer) which can't be a bad thing. This should offer some enjoyment for fans of Coroner, Watchtower & particularly Voivod as there's some good complexity to the expansive arrangements & instrumentation.

3.5/5