The Djent Thread

First Post February 13, 2020 04:22 AM

Meshuggah - "I" E.P. (2004)

I've just been revisiting this little beauty which is essentially comprised of a single incredibly complex 21 minute title track. Apparently drummer Tomas Haake had to program the drums because there was simply no way he could possibly remember the continuously odd timings. The first 12 or 13 minutes are very solid without having me ever reaching for the higher scores but from there on in it's nothing but pure gold. I've never heard a band that can match these guys for that djent sound & this is a prime example of what can be achieved.

4.5/5

October 10, 2020 09:11 PM

Meshuggah - "Catch Thirtythree" (2005)

Another immensely complex single-track release from the Swedish masters of djent who had tested the waters the previous year with their incredible "I" E.P. & now took things one step further with a full album-length undertaking of the highest quality. The production job is excellent & this time Meshuggah take off in top gear rather than building up over time with the first three (sub)tracks being complete home runs. In fact, I see very little reason to separate them as they're clearly the same track. Then the intensity & quality drops a touch during the middle of the album with a couple of more atmospheric periods breaking things up nicely. The climax comes with a trio of brilliant pieces beating you into submission immediately following the epic 13 minute centrepiece "In Death - Is Death" & the band finishes on a real high.

Overall, I'd suggest that I probably prefer "I" just marginally over "Catch Thirtythree" but there's very little in it. The mid-section possibly just lacks a little in the hooks & melody department if I'm being particularly picky but have no doubt that this is a classic & defining release for the subgenre & Meshuggah once again prove that they can't be touched when it comes to this style of metal. For fans of Kobong, Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects & TesseracT.

4.5/5

January 07, 2022 09:06 PM

For this weekend's top ten list I've decided to do my Top Ten Djent Releases of All Time, a task that was always going to end in an extremely one-sided result.

01. Meshuggah – “I” E.P. (2004)

02. Meshuggah – “Catch Thirtythree” (2005)

03. Meshuggah – “Destroy Erase Improve” (1995)

04. Meshuggah – “Koloss” (2012)

05. Vildhjarta – “Måsstaden” (2011)

06. Skyharbor – “Blinding White Noise: Illusion & Chaos” (2012)

07. Meshuggah – “Alive” (2010)

08. Meshuggah – “Nothing” (2006)

09. Meshuggah – “Nothing” (2002)

10. Meshuggah – “obZen” (2008)

https://metal.academy/lists/single/155

January 07, 2022 11:28 PM

That's a lot of Meshuggah in your list, Daniel! Djent is a really cool heavy subgenre, but I haven't listened to that as much as the rest of progressive metal. Still going by my one-band-per-entry rule, I'll start with a top 5:

5. Born of Osiris - The Simulation (2019)

4. Veil of Maya - Matriarch (2015)

3. Meshuggah - Catch Thirtythree (2005)

2. Textures - Dualism (2011)

1. The Contortionist - Exoplanet (2010)

January 08, 2022 09:04 PM
Do you think there’s enough genuine djent material on Animals As Leaders’ debut to qualify Andi? I don’t personally.