July 2024 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post July 01, 2024 03:51 AM

I'm back for monthly Feature Releases and I've found that I'm constantly trying to find Avant-Garde albums that keep to the spirit of the Infinite since they're so few and far between. Enter Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa's newest album The Blossoming, which is absolutely all over the place in terms of genres and ideas. Their debut album Corrupted Pillars of Vanity was one of my favorites of 2021, and I'm excited to give this one more listens before the end of the year. It's a dense one, so let us know what you think below as always. 

https://metal.academy/releases/52656

July 13, 2024 09:30 PM

Here's my review:

It's great to see a young band growing with each release & that's exactly what we've seen with French progressive black metallers Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa. I struggled to get into their 2018 debut album "Tales From Hydhradh" when I first came across the band however their 2021 follow-up "Corrupted Pillars of Vanity" showed promise & we're now seeing that promise coming to fruition with their latest release "The Blossoming" which is a genuinely intriguing listen. Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa's black metal roots would appear to be almost secondary concern at this point & it wouldn't surprise me if they were done away with altogether in the quest for ever more unique musical explorations in the future. Their modern sound uses black metal more as a platform for them to experiment over in some fairly unusual ways although I would say that they ever quite dive into the waters of the truly avant-garde on "The Blossoming", potentially only because of just how well they've integrated the experimental components into their arrangements which leaves the quirkier components still sounding reasonably fluid. The use of saxophone is beautifully executed & brings to mind fellow experimental black metallers White Ward. Not all of it works so well but the failures are comfortably outweighed by the successes.

It's worth noting that "The Blossoming" does have an unusual characteristic in that I feel all three of the tracks on the A side are noticeably weaker than those on the B side which is where the real meat is located. This has a tendency to leave an initial impression that isn't exactly accurate of the release as a whole & it took me a couple of listens to realise that this was a more significant outing than "Corrupted Pillars of Vanity" was. The track that most grabbed me was also the one that contained the least black metal in "Daimu Kadasdra Ko Antall" which utilizes psychedelic bongos & gothic atmospherics that bring to mind Tiamat's classic "Wildhoney" album to create a beautifully lush soundscape. "Endless Cycle" & the title track (particularly the second half of it) are the pick of the black metal-based material.

This sort of release is often a little too weird for me to score as highly as I have here but Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa have managed to pull it off with a professionalism & maturity that I've been unable to resist. I wouldn't suggest that this is a record for black metal fans only either as there's a lot more to it than that, even in the extreme metal sections. The album contains a few doomier sections that make up some of the more effective parts of the record while the vocals aren't exactly your typical black metal shriek either, often veering off into deeper territories usually traversed only by the death metal brigade. If I could provide any advice to the band, I'd suggest that they focus a little more on the psychedelic angles that I enjoy so much but that's probably just a reflection of my personal taste as "The Blossoming" is still a very solid release in its own right.

For fans of Alchemist, White Ward & Pan.Thy.Monium.

4/5

July 28, 2024 02:51 PM

I really enjoyed the hybrid of styles and influences Ætheria Conscientia took on this album. The Blossoming has showings from progressive metal giants as Ihsahn and Rivers of Nihil, and also avant garde stylings of Kayo Dot and Pan.Thy.Monium. This record shows more restraint than the previous album and makes wonders; songs like "Endless Cycle" show that they can write well developed songs without always resorting to the ten minute epic. They can be concise and still say everything they need to say. The avant-garde tag is more of a passing one as the record is still rather accessible from a progressive standpoint; The Blossoming takes liberties from atmospheric black metal for its feel, while occasionally adding the tremolo guitar and blast beat percussion. It's fascinating that a "black metal" album has so little black metal on it, but it sounds great when they do go all out.

8/10