October 2023 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post October 01, 2023 02:02 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Infinite, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the 2010 live album by Swedish progressive metal legends Opeth, In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall. I really don't want my Infinite interest to atrophy, but it seems that way when my interest in even the most titanic progressive metal bands is fading. But when I checked out this Opeth live album with the first set being their entire breakthrough album, and the second set consisting of songs from their other albums at the time, that was another excellent revisit, with lots of solid songs and epics that still touch my Infinite heart. Anyway, this is essential listening for anyone who's a fan of Opeth or at least has heard of Opeth, and for progressive metal fans in general.

https://metal.academy/releases/47179

October 01, 2023 02:18 AM

Here's my review summary:

Mikael Åkerfeldt is known as a true hero in progressive rock/metal. He and his band Opeth have stunned the world with their sound at least 25 years after Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath had done the same with their pioneered heavy metal sound. He has lead the band through a journey made by his creations of haunting riffs and melodies through great largely arranged compositions. Like many progressive bands, Opeth never hesitates to push themselves beyond their boundaries. If people think of Tony Iommi as an Iron Man, Mike is a kick-A Man of Steel! Opeth's 20th anniversary tour shows the band performing 5 special concerts, this one in the Royal Albert Hall, London, being documented in this mighty live release. They play their entire "Blackwater Park" to celebrate that breakthrough album from 2001, then after an intermission, their second set consists of 8 more songs, one from each Opeth album at that time. Many of these songs still touch my Infinite heart as amazing highlights in top-notch quality, with superb long epics that touch different emotions in different sections, all ranging from aggressive brutality to acoustic melancholy. Only a couple track don't appeal to me as much as they used to, but despite that, this live album is an essential taste of Opeth!

4.5/5

Recommended tracks: "Bleak", "The Drapery Falls", "The Funeral Portrait", "Blackwater Park", "Forest of October", "Advent", "The Moor", "Wreath"

For fans of: Opeth, Opeth, and more Opeth! Not many other bands can do their sound justice.

October 01, 2023 07:54 AM

I have the DVD version of this release & really enjoy it. Looks like it's a 165 minute triple album in the CD format. It certainly won't disappoint fans of the band.