The Progcore Thread

First Post September 20, 2023 01:58 PM

In Rexorcist's Top 100 Prog Metal Albums list, he has mentioned the need for the "progcore" tag to exist. As a fan of progressive metal and hardcore/metalcore, I absolutely agree with Rex. It's the most accurate tag to describe bands and albums that aren't too progressive or too hardcore but just right. In my opinion, progcore can be used for releases that combine progressive rock/metal with any of the hardcore/metalcore subgenres that also include melodic metalcore, mathcore, deathcore, and post-hardcore. I can easily add in Dance Gavin Dance and early Coheed and Cambria for the post-hardcore side or progcore, but we're talking about metal bands in this thread. So here's a top 10 list of albums I consider progcore (one per band):

1. Protest the Hero - Kezia (2005)

2. ERRA - Augment (2013)

3. Northlane - Singularity (2013)

4. Burst - Lazarus Bird (2008)

5. Sikth - Death of a Dead Day (2006)

6. Structures - Life Through a Window (2014)

7. Candiria - Beyond Reasonable Doubt (1997)

8. Car Bomb - Mordial (2019)

9. Architects - All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us (2016)

10. Invent, Animate - Heavener (2023)

So do any of you guys like the "progcore" term, and what are your favorite albums that can fit that term? Discuss!

September 20, 2023 02:19 PM

I think of it as a punk genre more than a metal genre, though.  I've heard the term used, and I generally like the idea of progressive hardcore as I love both, but it's not really a metal genre to me.  Some metalcore albums just fall under that category.  I guess if you wanted prog metalcore, or "metallix progcore" if you have some proggy crossover thrash or some junk you could, but I just tag any album on my listed with all appropriate genres, including non-metal ones.

But to be fair, prog metalcore or metallic progcore is something worth discussing somewhere on the internet since we have some key bands taking the hy6brid to a progressive nature, notably Between the Buried and Me, Protest the Hero, After the Burial, Architects...

September 20, 2023 09:41 PM

In Rexorcist's Top 100 Prog Metal Albums list, he has mentioned the need for the "progcore" tag to exist. As a fan of progressive metal and hardcore/metalcore, I absolutely agree with Rex. It's the most accurate tag to describe bands and albums that aren't too progressive or too hardcore but just right. In my opinion, progcore can be used for releases that combine progressive rock/metal with any of the hardcore/metalcore subgenres that also include melodic metalcore, mathcore, deathcore, and post-hardcore. 

So do any of you guys like the "progcore" term, and what are your favorite albums that can fit that term? Discuss!

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

I'm not a fan of this idea as we're trying to steer away from hybrid subgenres, particularly when they're cross-clan ones as they create logistical problems given that a subgenre can only reside in one clan in our database. Surely a dual tag of Progressive Metal & Metalcore is sufficient for these releases, isn't it?

September 20, 2023 10:20 PM

Yes, it is sufficient, Daniel. I'm not suggesting creating a cross-clan subgenre, I just like the tag and this is more of just a discussion thread. There are key bands of this hybrid such as all that's been mentioned so far here, but not enough beyond those bands to constitute a new subgenre, and probably just as well.

September 21, 2023 12:04 AM

Yes, it is sufficient, Daniel. I'm not suggesting creating a cross-clan subgenre, I just like the tag and this is more of just a discussion thread. There are key bands of this hybrid such as all that's been mentioned so far here, but not enough beyond those bands to constitute a new subgenre, and probably just as well.

Quoted Shadowdoom9 (Andi)

Yeah, but filing it as an actual metal genre feels like more of a misnomer, so if anything this is more of a non-metal discussion.

On the subject of cross-clan genres, while I often use these as a way to build custom charts of my own, I think the general idea is a very complex one that shouldn't be discussed right now.  I mean, if there was a way to make it work, I already thought of one that probably wouldn't get in the way of clan integrity, but we're so small right now that the idea is best avoided.