December 2019 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post November 30, 2019 09:46 PM

The start of December sees us kicking off a new undertaking. We'll be nominating a monthly feature release for each clan & are asking you to rate, review & discuss it for no other reason than because we enjoy it. Ben & I will certainly be contributing & we look forward to hearing your thoughts too. 

This month's feature release for The Infinite is the 1982 self-titled debut album from unusual German avant-garde metal outfit Warning (not to be confused with the self-titled debut from French heavy rockers Warning from the same year). This is a truly innovative & ambitious piece of art that's been largely overlooked over the years. We're interested to hear what you think of it so don't be shy.

December 12, 2019 02:30 PM

I may take time to write a full review later since I found this album very interesting, but I gotta say this was a strangely charming release with some well done electronic experiments. It's absolutely silly with the cartoon-character-like growling vocals and experimental synth-pop parts, but that didn't turn me off from the album at all. I've never heard anything quite like this and it's definitely a product of its early-80's time period, but I think that's what makes it so enjoyable. The chugging and riffs in the back of all the weird experimental stuff are engaging and compliment whatever the hell else is going on remarkably well. 

I think this is one of those releases that just shouldn't work on paper, but in practice it comes together to form a strangely alluring piece of music. This will definitely be my go-to if for some reason anyone wants to know how to properly use cheesy 80's synth in a strangely metal way. 

December 12, 2019 06:12 PM

Excellent. I'm so glad that you "got it". I was afraid that it might weird some of you out so much on initial listens that you might not give it the chance to sink in. I think it's a wonderful release. Some of the doomy parts are quite possibly the heaviest thing that had ever been recorded to the time in my opinion.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
December 13, 2019 12:07 AM

I agree that it's one of those albums that's just so strange and unique, but somehow manages to draw you back to it rather than forcing you away. I really love the whole aesthetic they went for too. It gives the whole project a level of sci-fi mystique. I think I called them the Daft Punk of Avant-Garde Doom Metal on the podcast.