December 2022 Feature Release - The Infinite Edition

First Post November 30, 2022 11:45 PM

As 2022 comes to a close, Xanthochroid's 2017 double-album opus Of Erthe and Axen instantly popped into my head when I had to choose the feature this month. Why, I'm not sure, but it's been so long since I've gone back to it that I want to see if it still holds up for me 5 years later, as I have some seriously fond memories of it. Of Erthe and Axen is an overblown, symphonic, and folky Progressive Metal concept album that has tinges of Black Metal influence in it, much like Ne Obliviscaris. Let us know what you think and feel free to only listen to Part I if you're not digging it.

December 14, 2022 04:20 PM

This was a really great feature release selection as far as I'm concerned as the scope & execution is excellent while the tracklisting is completely blemish-free. The reference to Ne Obliviscaris is certainly apt as they're probably the band that sits closest to this sound. Xandochroid possess an additional cinematic component which gives them a clear point of difference though, despite the fact that you'll easily detect the influence of other progressive metal masters like Dream Theater, Opeth, etc. The clean vocals sound a lot like James LaBrie from Dream Theater at times while the black metal shrieks are the spitting image of Ihsahn. You won't hear a more beautifully executed production job, especially in regard to the symphonic/orchestral elements which jump out of the speakers & gently stroke your face at times. The blast-beats are kept for key moments but are immaculately performed while the folk sections are engaging & free of cheese. I love the female vocals too. They're gorgeous! The only criticism I have is that the quality level dips a touch between tracks 5-7 but I'd suggest that all fans of extreme progressive metal will find a lot to enjoy here.

For fans of Ne Obliviscaris, Wilderun & Opeth.

4/5

December 15, 2022 01:48 AM

I've given Act I a review, here's its summary:

Do you ever wonder if bands combine the epicness of symphonic black metal and complexity of progressive metal? This band can! They've done it with great magic that many other bands of similar styles lost over the years. However, it's not like a Christmas present that I've really desired (and it is close to Christmas as of this review) in some parts, but there's no way this will ever make me as disappointed as I was about Opeth's prog-rock era. Of Erthe and Axen (Act I) is quite an exciting thrill-ride, and it was definitely worth the 5-year wait fans of the band had since their debut. This is kind of a throwback to around the time of the album's release, when I was an older teen listening to other band of the more epic progressive metal shortly between switching to its extreme side and more modern genres. It really satisfies what I've expected! The band members have done a brilliant job turning this album into a near-perfect masterpiece. While I hear a good amount of symphonic black metal, the album is not entirely like that, balanced out with tremendous progressive metal. Even the story is planned out to be as structural as the music, setting up a climatic tale from beginning to end, told through heavier metal songs and softer acoustic/orchestral ballads. The heavier tracks showcase the symphonic black metal sound in the orchestration, tremolos, and blast-beats, along with vocals ranging from unclean to clean, and the progressiveness is added to the brutality. In the end, we have a beautiful first part of the Of Erthe and Axen saga. Will I ever be up to checking out the exciting conclusion? Not today, but perhaps one day when I'm fully up to exploring more of non-satanic black metal and the more cinematic progressive metal. And this epic offering has given me a bit of motivation!

4.5/5