July 2022 Featured Album - The Infinite Edition

First Post June 30, 2022 05:22 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's selection for the Infinite is Plini's 2016 debut full length album Handmade Cities. Anyone who anything about my listening preferences knows how much of a sucker I am for fusion jazz. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the worlds of jazz and metal rarely cross paths, and this may be one of the best displays that we have so far in this seldom explored part of music.

https://metal.academy/releases/4695

July 01, 2022 11:00 AM

I did my review, here's its summary:

Reviving progressive rock/metal in a djent-ish yet melodic wave, Plini has unleashed a calming storm from his own bedroom. I wish I could do that! Handmade Cities marks his full-length debut after several EPs, displaying his astonishing writing ability. While he has incredible strength throughout, it should be noted that a couple songs threaten to be close to generic or as scatterbrained as the cover art. But in the end, we have absolute true melodic instrumental prog-rock/metal! I would give this album just 96% with some slight fat needing trimming, but he's still at his very strongest!

5/5 (more specifically, 96%)

July 07, 2022 05:23 AM

I've been aware of Plini's existence for a long time now given that he hails from my home town of Sydney although I've never gotten around to giving any of his records a spin until now & I can honestly say that I've been very impressed with the experience too. The dude not only has chops to burn but he also understands the value of quality song-writing. What we have here is a combination of djenty progressive metal, artsy progressive rock & experimental jazz fusion (three styles that offer a lot of appeal for me personally), all bundled up into your classic late 80's instrumental guitar virtuoso style package. Plini wears his influences on his sleeve as I can easily pick up elements of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Allan Holdsworth & Al Di Meola in his sound however he still manages to give his solos his own personal touch as well. The thing that really dazzles me is his restraint & his stunning use of phrasing. This is certainly NOT your showiest guitar shredder record & that's a credit to Plini's understanding of what makes good music, something he's likely learnt from Satriani's philosophies on composition. He sounds like he's in total control at all times & there's not a note that's played without purpose & conviction. The simpler Satriani-esque melodies are definitely the highlight for me here, along with the more stripped back solos where Plini can be more emotive & expressive. Where he starts to lose me a bit is when he ventures into that quirky & joyous Frank Zappa-inspired territory that Steve Vai has so often made his own in the past. It all gets a little too arty-fartsy for my taste once things head in that pleasantly unintimidating early 80's jazz fusion direction but I don't ever feel like pressing skip because the promise of something more interesting is always only a few moments away.

Overall I'd suggest that "Handmade Cities" is a really solid example of the instrumental guitar record & has enough of a point of difference to represent a fresh take. What it lacks though is those one or two standout tracks that can elevate a "very solid" record to an "outstanding" one but you get the feeling that Plini has that in him on the evidence here & he may have already delivered on that potential for all I know.

For fans of Liquid Tension Experiment, Joe Satriani & Steve Vai.

4/5

July 10, 2022 11:26 AM

I have strayed into unchartered waters by drifting into The Infinite feature release and I feel I may be about to alienate the clan residents somewhat with my attempt to review this release, but I am here now so might as well use the rope in my hand. I feel that in listening to Handmade Cities that I have just watched an eighties film were the protagonist has just overcome great evil (or maybe a serial killer) and I am revelling in the joy of the end credits having somehow missed the whole film. Sarcastic comment over, I promise.

If I focus on the talent required to make this album then I cannot failed to be impressed. It might not be my bag at all but despite there being more than one "WTF" moment for me, I could not quite bring myself to turn it off. Intrigue got the better of me even though I am not a fan of instrumental tracks (let alone full releases that are all instrumental tracks). It kind of reminded me of a Joe Satriani record I listened to years ago which although inoffensive never held my interest enough for me to ever explore it enough to truly get to grips with it. I guess that I find Plini to be decent enough background music and nothing more. Occasionally it does something interesting as it chops away at the aether around me enough to break through whatever it is I am focusing on to remind me that it is still there.

Overall, I find Handmade Cities just to be too safe a record for my extreme tastes, and whilst I acknowledge its merits I am coloured a dull, pastel shade by it. If I had the patience (not something that I have vast stocks of) then I would perhaps revisit over the coming days but I have to get my head around Spheres and that Parkcrest record yet as part of the monthly reviews and at least one of those has got me ruffled already this month so I feel they will be the focus of my attentions for the coming days instead.

2.5/5