Possibility of locking in a 5th clan in the Clan Challenges?

First Post February 22, 2020 06:40 AM

Hey there, Ben! In the Frequently Asked Questions section, one of those questions is, "Can I join more than 3 clans?", and this is the answer: "While it is possible for site members to join up to 5 clans, it has not yet been determined how the 4th and 5th clans can be earned. It’s safe to say though, that Metal Academy loyalty and/or set achievements will be involved. More will be revealed on this topic once the site gains in popularity and site member behaviour is better understood."

We already know that members can earn a fourth clan by locking in their three starting clans in their respective Clan Challenges plus a different clan in its Clan Challenge to lock in that clan. But is it possible for members to lock in and earn a fifth clan after locking in those four clans? I'm asking because I have three other clans that fit well for me but can't decide which one of the three to join in, and this website frowns upon making secondary accounts. If locking in a fifth clan is possible, please change the Clan Challenge description to say that you can lock in and earn a fourth and fifth clan. OK, thanks!

February 22, 2020 07:53 AM

Hi Andi. There is a possibility of allowing a fifth clan in the future but it's not on our radar at this stage. If we ever do it we definitely won't be allowing a sixth.

But in saying that, I think it's important for everyone to remember what the purpose of the clans are before we discuss adding any more additional clan options. The reality is that the actual individuals involved don't benefit at all from being a member of an additional clan. The whole clan concept means that it's the overall site that benefits from having only well informed people being part of each clan & therefore giving the charts & overall ratings more meaning. Also, I challenge anyone to tell me that they're fanatical about five different clans. You'll find that 99% of the time there are only portions of some of those clans that appeal to them. For example, if you became a member of The Fallen because you love Drone Metal & are partial to a bit of Stoner Metal here & there, there's every chance that you'll rate releases from the other subgenres that are covered under The Fallen & give negatively slanted scores which will in turn dilute the clan ratings system. Particularly if you're completing Clan Challenges. It was for this reason that I gave up my membership of The North despite holding black metal as one of my favourite subgenres. 

So what I'm trying to say is that I recommend that everyone keeps the best interests of the site in mind when choosing their clans. Look at the overall subgenres that are included under each clan & choose the ones that are the best fit for your personal tastes. It really doesn't matter if you like a subgenre that's covered by another clan as long as you are well informed & enthusiastic about the clans that you ARE a part of. You can always complete additional challenges from other clans at your leisure anyway.