A minor suggestion for how you add bands and albums

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
August 31, 2022 04:52 AM

I'll describe my process below so you know how I do things. That said, I'm more than happy to add bands on request, and will always prioritise them as much as I can.

I started off by adding every band to the site that had a release on RYM with 100 or more ratings. This took years to complete, but resulted in all the most important bands being added.

Once that was complete, knowing that newer releases naturally have more ratings than old ones, I started lowering the required numbers the further back I went. The below is where things stand right now, and it continues to get lower every few weeks. So to be clear, every band that has a 1990's release that has least 65 ratings has been added to the site. Every band that has a 1980's release that has at least 60 ratings has been added to the site. etc.

I reckon every band with a pre-2000 release with more than 50 ratings will be on the site around the end of September, and I'll continue to lower the numbers. I should point out though that it becomes very difficult to add releases when you start getting down to "the dregs". The integrity of the site relies on accurate genre tagging so that appropriate clans can be attributed to each release. I imagine I'll hit a point where it starts to become obvious that going any lower just won't be possible as genre-tagging will consistently be missing. That might be around the 20 mark, but could be lower. We'll have to wait and see.

As a final note, I've never intended for Metal Academy to have every metal release ever made on it. There are literally thousands (probably tens of thousands) of bands on RYM / Metal-Archives that have no releases with any ratings and that have no genres attributed to them whatsoever. It's just not going to be plausible to add them all here due to the clan nature of the site, and I personally think it will actually be better for their absence. Again, if someone requests that I add one of these bands, and can provide genre data for them, they will be added as a priority.

1970s - 50+

1980s - 60+

1990s - 65+

2000s - 75+

2010s - 85+

2020s - 95+

August 31, 2022 06:12 AM

Seems like a lazy attitude to me. I'd like to suggest that you add all demos, singles, radio broadcasts, video clips & live performances immediately along with full tracklistings, liner notes, lyrics & instrumental transcriptions.

Rehearsals can come later (see I'm reasonable).

Ben
Ben
August 31, 2022 06:31 AM

As you know, I do actually have the ability to enter tracklistings and lyrics. Unfortunately there is only one of me, and I have a comparatively lazy brother.

August 31, 2022 06:32 AM
I'd provide a super-intelligent retort of some description but it seems like a bit of an effort to be honest.
Ben
Ben
September 01, 2022 03:54 AM

In short, yes. If there's no available data, or at least very little data, to help me allocate a genre or clan, then I will trust the requesting Metal Academy attendee's judgement. This occurs from time to time.

That said, I will always use RYM genre data when it is available. In other words, I won't accept requests from Metal Academy attendees to add a new release to a different genre / clan to what RYM users have voted, when there is adequate data available. That's what the Hall of Judgement is for.

I hope that makes sense.