Mute/ignore threads

First Post August 26, 2022 07:59 AM

Hi Ben/Daniel, is there any option in the development pipeline to explore the muting or ignoring of threads in the forum section? 

I am going to be brutally honest, logging in and looking at a list of threads all around "this should be in this clan" and "this should be in that clan, or in these two clans not just one" drives me insane and I usually just log straight back out again.  I get the clans are a huge part of the site and important to some more than others, and whilst I do participate in Hall.. votes it is more out of feeling obliged to do so as opposed to genuinely caring where something should sit sub-genre wise.  I simply don't care about these things and so any functionality to be able to toggle off the threads that mean nothing to me would be great.

Not a moan or a "what's wrong with MA" post.  Just genuinely interested to see if anything can be done.  Thanks.

August 26, 2022 12:37 PM

Why not start a few new threads of your own?

August 26, 2022 12:40 PM

Why not start a few new threads of your own?

Quoted Rexorcist

And this helps how?

If you haven’t got anything useful to add you can always not comment Rex.

August 26, 2022 12:43 PM

No need to get snarky.  If you think of a good enough conversation then people might post on it 

August 26, 2022 02:32 PM

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think Vinny's point is that even if there is a thread you may be interested in they are in danger of quickly being pushed off the previous forum posts list by endless "yes it is", "no it isn't" posts relating to the minutiae of genre classification which not everyone may be interested in. Surely it is reasonable therefore to enquire if there is any possibility of filtering out threads a member may not be interested in and so allowing everyone to interact with the site in a way which may suit them.

August 26, 2022 03:49 PM

True but considering the staff is very limited, there may be other potentially more important features to include and program first.  Even RYM has a million things to do and they have a staff of around 200 moderators, but only two developers.

August 26, 2022 04:17 PM

True but considering the staff is very limited, there may be other potentially more important features to include and program first.  Even RYM has a million things to do and they have a staff of around 200 moderators, but only two developers.

Quoted Rexorcist

Ben and Daniel have always been very encouraging in getting the members to come forward with ideas to improve the site and Vinny sees that as an improvement (and, for the record, I agree with him) so was perfectly justified in raising the subject with Ben.

August 26, 2022 06:55 PM

It's an interesting suggestion thanks Vinny. I assume that the idea will also encompass the polar opposite functionality so that I can filter the forums to show only my beloved genre-tag related threads? :) Would the ability to simply filter out the Hall of Judgement forum suffice?

August 26, 2022 07:11 PM

It's an interesting suggestion thanks Vinny. I assume that the idea will also encompass the polar opposite functionality so that I can filter the forums to show only my beloved genre-tag related threads? :) Would the ability to simply filter out the Hall of Judgement forum suffice?

Quoted Daniel

In that case, to avoid tediousness among users there would have to be two separate filters where one of the two is a special case specifically for that subforum, and the other applies to single threads.  There's no real reason to filter out any other entire subforums.

August 26, 2022 10:15 PM

Yeah good point Morpheus. That's something we've spoken about before as I always liked that about the Terrorizer forums.

August 27, 2022 07:01 AM

I feel like part of this problem would be alleviated if this site had something like older forums where you can see which topics/forums have new posts because they're in bold. If one topic happens to dominate, like some Hall of Judgment threads, or say, this thread, well, one knows where the other posts are.

Quoted Morpheus Kitami

This works, as a former Tez forumite, like Daniel, I found that feature useful.

Quoted Daniel

Yes, appreciate this needs to work both ways so me not seeing endless reams of classification threads need not be at the expense of more...passionate members :joy:

Anything that can be done to save my eyes from the horror of genre-tagging/judgement halls etc would be appreciated.