Forum thread annoyance

First Post September 11, 2019 09:11 PM

Ben, I find that whenever I post on a thread that has multiple pages I'm taken back to the start of the first page of the thread rather than to the post I've just submitted. I often find that this happens when I visit a thread from a link on another page too.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 11, 2019 09:34 PM

Ben, I find that whenever I post on a thread that has multiple pages I'm taken back to the start of the first page of the thread rather than to the post I've just submitted. I often find that this happens when I visit a thread from a link on another page too.

Quoted Daniel

It's taking you back to the page you were on when you wrote the reply. So since you're clicking Reply to Thread on the first page, that's where it takes you back to. This never happened to me, because I click through to the most recent page before entering my reply at the end of the thread. Once I post it, I'm taken straight to my reply.

I'll see if I can make it so that the user is always taken to the end of the thread when they post a reply.

September 11, 2019 10:19 PM

I've also experienced this several times... being taken to the first page when I wanted to go to the latest reply. Minor annoyance to have to scroll down and click the page numbers. I wish it was more obvious how to jump straight to latest post.

Ben
Ben
September 12, 2019 12:59 AM

I've also experienced this several times... being taken to the first page when I wanted to go to the latest reply. Minor annoyance to have to scroll down and click the page numbers. I wish it was more obvious how to jump straight to latest post.

Quoted illusionist

Thanks for the feedback illusionist. Obviously something isn't intuitive, so I want to figure out exactly what it is. Note in the image below that the two links highlighted in red take you to the last reply in the thread, but the one in blue takes you to the first page of the thread. Do you guys feel like the one in blue should just go to latest reply too? I'm wondering whether this, combined with the Reply to Thread issue Daniel mentioned above, is causing the problem. Cheers!

September 12, 2019 08:03 PM

See I never realized that I could click on the LAST REPLY column entries to get to the last post. I guess it's just not intuitive because I haven't seen another forum with that functionality before. Or perhaps I just haven't realized it was there on those sites either. I think a lot of other forums have page numbers next to or beneath the thread title so you can easily navigate to the first few or last few pages & given that I didn't see those I assumed that I could only click on the thread title.

September 12, 2019 11:22 PM

Speaking of latest replies, in your profile page under "Forum Replies" there's no such option to jump to your post or the latest post. All the things you can click on takes you to the original post. 

Ben
Ben
September 13, 2019 12:23 AM

Speaking of latest replies, in your profile page under "Forum Replies" there's no such option to jump to your post or the latest post. All the things you can click on takes you to the original post. 

Quoted Xephyr

Hadn't noticed that. Will take a look at that too. Cheers.

September 17, 2019 08:11 AM

It's taking you back to the page you were on when you wrote the reply. So since you're clicking Reply to Thread on the first page, that's where it takes you back to. This never happened to me, because I click through to the most recent page before entering my reply at the end of the thread. Once I post it, I'm taken straight to my reply.

I'll see if I can make it so that the user is always taken to the end of the thread when they post a reply.

Quoted Ben

Ben, I just went to the last page of the "What are you listening to now? - The Pit Edition thread via the link in the LAST REPLY column of The Pit forum & posted a new reply to the thread. I then got taken back to the first post on the first page of that thread. That's not in line with what you are saying above.

Ben
Ben
September 17, 2019 09:14 AM

Testing.

Ben
Ben
September 17, 2019 09:15 AM

Works for me every time. I wonder if it's a browser thing? What are you using?

September 17, 2019 09:24 AM

I'm using Microsoft Edge.

September 17, 2019 01:02 PM

I use Mozilla Firefox.

Ben
Ben
September 27, 2019 03:40 AM

I think this might be resolved now. Please test and let me know.

Cheers,

Ben

September 27, 2019 04:19 AM

It wasn't as of last night but I'll keep you informed if I notice it happen again.

Ben
Ben
September 27, 2019 05:10 AM

If you go to the Bands Added thread and click Reply to Thread and then post your reply, do you still get taken to the first page rather than the most recent one?

Please let me know exactly what you're doing when it doesn't work as desired. I've tried several different ways, but they all work.

Ben
Ben
September 27, 2019 05:13 AM

If it's still happening for you, I highly recommend you use Chrome and see if that helps. Over 70% of internet users use Chrome, whereas only 4% use Edge.