Voivod's "Phobos" should be removed from The Pit and The Sphere and added to The Guardians plus given the "Avant-Garde Metal" label

First Post November 29, 2020 02:01 AM
This is pretty much the most complex Judgement Submission I've ever done, and I'm not sure if it would be possible to have 4 clans involved in a submission, but I say it can be attempted and done, so here it goes... Voivod's Phobos, like their earlier speed/thrash/progressive albums, has some issues that need to be settled through in the Hall, only this time, the problems are more complex and controversial. First of all, Ben, in your review, you said that they haven't completed shed their sci-fi thrash roots. True, but here I don't think that means the whole album is completely thrash. The progressive-thrash ratio sounds the same as that of Dimension Hatröss. Speaking of ratios, in RYM, for Phobos' Thrash Metal, the NO votes are really closing in with the YES votes (38 - 42). And all that is why this album should leave The Pit. Second, I was shocked by this album having been placed in The Sphere. I mean, in RYM, Industrial Metal has enough YES votes to qualify in The Sphere, but... No, just NO!! This is not Ministry, this is not Rammstein, this...is...VOIVOD!!! There are electronics galore but is it really that industrial!? This is more in a slight background amount of industrial like say, Paradise Lost's Symbol of Life (By the way, have you noticed a few similarities to the stylistic directions of Paradise Lost and Voivod while they're obviously not in the same genres? More about that in a different thread...). This type of electronic usage is more in a slightly industrial but a mostly experimental/avant-garde way like Meshuggah's earlier albums when they used synthesizers. So I see Avant-Garde Metal as a more appropriate label than Industrial Metal. And finally, there's some of the heavy metal Voivod would have in their next 3 albums, their final ones with the late Piggy, so Phobos should also be in The Guardians with that label. So to recap this long complex request; I'd like to submit Voivod's "Phobos" with the proposal of being removed from The Pit and The Sphere, and added to The Guardians instead with the Heavy Metal label, plus the Avant-Garde Metal tag added on top of the existing Progressive Metal one. It might seem impossible, but please give it a try.
November 29, 2020 07:30 AM
Submission cancelled due to the new Hall rule of only allowing one change per entry. Re-entry link: https://metal.academy/forum/28/thread/589