Mastodon's "Cold Dark Place", in The Infinite or not? (special poll)

First Post November 22, 2020 08:40 AM

Like Solstafir's "Berdreyminn", I took a quick run-through of the Mastodon EP Cold Dark Place, and it doesn't sound as "non-metal" as we thought. Much of the band's progressive metal sound is still around there, just not as heavy as the other songs in the two previous albums the songs were cut from, Once More 'Round the Sun & Emperor of Sand. I don't think Mastodon has ever publicly stated whether or not these songs were supposed to be non-metal. I think this is a more similar technique to Epica's The Solace System, taking out a few songs from the previous album and putting them into a different EP, whether they're metal or not.

Now before I propose that Mastodon's "Cold Dark Place" should be placed into The Infinite, I decided to keep up my poll experiment idea (for more info and to vote there as well: https://metal.academy/forum/28/thread/581) for not only members to agree on which opinion sounds accurate to the album's sound but also the Hall of Judgement to gain a little more activity. You can either vote in the thread by adding a number by 1 when you vote (0 -> 1, 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, etc.), or send me a PM if you want your vote to be anonymous. The first of the 3 opinions to get 5 votes wins the poll. Then depending on which opinion wins, I would ask Ben to put the album into the Hall of Judgement and send a PM to any of the voters who haven't voted in the Hall yet to do so. The opinions are below, with my own vote in one of them as a head-start, so vote away!

Is "Cold Dark Place" like...?

Album 1: Epica - The Solace System (2017)

Putting extra songs from one or two albums' recording sessions into their own EP whether they're metal or not.

If win: Mastodon's "Cold Dark Place" goes to the Hall with the proposal of adding it to the Infinite.

Votes so far: 1

Album 2: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Plagiarism (2006)

Purposely adding only non-metal songs to a one-off EP.

If win: Mastodon's "Cold Dark Place" stays non-metal.

Votes so far: 0

Album 3: Opeth - Damnation (2003)

Just recording a lot of material with some songs in a different softer style, and splitting the material by style.

If win: Depends on which other opinion is in second place. If tied, we wait for one more vote for one of them.

Votes so far: 0