Solstafir's "Berdreyminn", in The Infinite or not? (special poll)

First Post November 16, 2020 10:47 AM

Exactly 10 days ago, Solstafir released their newest album Endless Twilight of Codependent Love. It has been voted in RYM to be a post-/progressive metal release, and that sounds accurate. The heavier elements return in most of the songs, even a couple throwbacks to their earlier black/viking metal era. After their two new albums got added to this site, I took a quick run-through of their previous album Berdreyminn, and surprisingly, it doesn't sound as "non-metal" as we thought. Much of the band's post-metal sound is still around there, just without the extreme elements. The kind of level of metal is close to Between the Buried and Me's Coma Ecliptic, discarding most extreme elements but using them again in their next album. I don't think Solstafir has ever publicly stated whether Berdreyminn is metal or not. And even though I'm not directly referring to any outside sources, those sources about that album include sites like Metal Hammer and Metal Infection, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't accept any truly non-metal releases.

Now before I propose that Solstafir's "Berdreyminn" should be placed into The Infinite, I decided to run a little poll experiment for not only members to agree on which opinion sounds accurate to the album's sound but also the Hall of Judgement to gain a little more activity. You can either vote in the thread by adding a number by 1 when you vote (0 -> 1, 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, etc.), or send me a PM if you want your vote to be anonymous. The first of the 3 opinions to get 5 votes wins the poll. Then depending on which opinion wins, I would ask Ben to put the album into the Hall of Judgement and send a PM to any of the voters who haven't voted in the Hall yet to do so. The opinions are below, with my own vote in one of them as a head-start, so vote away!

Is "Berdreyminn" like...?

Album 1: Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecliptic (2015)

Toning down most of their extreme elements for a cleaner metal sound just for one album.

If win: Solstafir's "Berdreyminn" goes to the Hall with the proposal of adding it to the Infinite.

Votes so far: 1

Album 2: Blind Guardian - Legacy of the Dark Lands (2019)

Purposely eliminating the metal elements for a softer sound but will return in the next album.

If win: Solstafir's "Berdreyminn" stays non-metal.

Votes so far: 0

Album 3: Bring Me the Horizon - 2015-2019 era

Just naturally sliding away from metal and not returning until they feel like it.

If win: Depends on which other opinion is in second place. If tied, we wait for one more vote for one of them.

Votes so far: 0