Howdy folks!

First Post November 24, 2019 12:47 AM

Hi all! I got an invite on RYM and the prospect of this site was too enticing to pass up. I love me some organisation and listing systems, and just choosing my clans on here was both a delight and torment at the same time (as all the best entertainment should be). Looking forward to exploring!

Love the designs on the clan logos by the way, and the work that went into their conception.

All hail The Fallen, The Guardians and The Pit!

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
November 24, 2019 05:30 AM

Welcome to Metal Academy Tymell! More importantly though, welcome to your chosen clans. I'm sure it's tough for everyone to make that choice.

I'm busy coming up with ways that contributing site members can earn entry into a fourth clan, so your torment may eventually be eased somewhat.

We hope you enjoy the site!

November 24, 2019 11:25 AM

So great to have you Tymell. And I share your feelings on systems & lists. I think that most committed metalheads share your passion there actually.

Also, choosing your clans is unquestionably pretty difficult for most true metal fans however I think the value of the clans arrangement becomes more & more obvious once you get a bit of time under your belt. I've found that I've become much more comfortable with missing out on membership of a couple of clans in recent times as I can see how it benefits the site to limit membership to those who are committed to the cause whole-heartedly & holistically rather than just possessing an interest in some portions of the clan. For example, I'm thinking of dropping back to three clans after admitting to myself that even though the raw aggressive black metal sound is something that I'm genuinely passionate about, the  folk & Viking metal elements are a bit of a struggle for me most of the time & the modern post-metal/blackgaze stuff isn't half as appealing as the more evil stuff either. Rather than dilute the charts I'm looking to separate myself from the clan to focus on the other three that I'm passionate about in their entirety. It doesn't mean that I won't gain the same benefit out of The North charts as the members do though. I'll maintain a keen interest in that.

November 24, 2019 08:44 PM

Oh absolutely, to be clear I'm not complaining about the clans system, I like it a lot. Simply being able to jump into all of them would lessen the value of the system.

That said, I do like the sound of potentially being able to join a 4th, perhaps after some kind of goal of contributions is met. Though then I have to pick which of the remaining 6 children to keep...

November 25, 2019 04:59 AM

Fellow Guardian here! Love me some good old school power/heffy metal from time to time and even symphonic has a place in my heart. 

Daniel, I'm the opposite of you with The North. I love Folk/Viking metal but not a fan of black metal too much but slowly growing into it. 

The clan system is personally refreshing, it's a cheap way to get rid of bots at the same time makes sense when looking at the broad picture of what a clan can do for a respectful release. I almost feel like this could be a really good scientific study  to see how music genres are better represented by those that spend more time with it then others who don't. It's a cool research project to me haha. I too want to join a 4th clan at some point (The Horde i'm looking at you) but for now I really like this concept and see where it goes. Hopefully we'll all see each other around on here. :)