Episode 23 of "Metal Academy" podcast released

First Post June 18, 2019 08:41 PM

Episode 23 of "Metal Academy" podcast was finally released overnight. It sees Ben & I closing out our coverage of 1985's US traditional heavy metal releases with trips to Texas & Florida as well as examining all of the great speed metal & doom metal records of the time. The feature releases are Helloween's self-titled E.P. & "Walls Of Jericho" album & Pentagram's self-titled debut. You can also expect to hear all about records from Pantera, Savatage, Nasty Savage, Exciter, Agent Steel, Iron Angel, Black Hole, Trouble & Saint Vitus. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the show so please feel free to drop us some feedback.

http://metalacademy.libsyn.com/episode-23-1985-part-2-of-5-featuring-helloween-and-pentagram

July 26, 2019 01:44 AM

I think all the things you guys didn't enjoy about Helloween, I actually love. Mind you, not when I was a wee lad, I was far too brutal for that, but as I've gotten older I've grown fonder of Euro power metal (the devil on my shoulder would probably suggest that just maybe I just ran out of other metal genres to explore). The cheese factor is a part of the charm I guess, but definitely isn't for those with a lactose intolerance.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
July 26, 2019 02:56 AM

I think all the things you guys didn't enjoy about Helloween, I actually love. Mind you, not when I was a wee lad, I was far too brutal for that, but as I've gotten older I've grown fonder of Euro power metal (the devil on my shoulder would probably suggest that just maybe I just ran out of other metal genres to explore). The cheese factor is a part of the charm I guess, but definitely isn't for those with a lactose intolerance.

Quoted Chinese Whispers

I really wish I liked it. I'm actually jealous of metal fans that get into power metal, cause there's so much stuff to get your teeth into. I'm a sucker for fantasy themes, so I feel like I'm missing out.

I genuinely tried to go in with no preconceptions this time and just take the music for what it is, but unfortunately, I can't really control the gag reflex that it triggers in me. It's just not for me, and I can't just flick a switch to change that.

I hope you enjoyed our singing! It's one of my favourite moments in the Metal Academy Podcast journey.

July 26, 2019 07:27 AM

I can definitely understand why it's not to some people's taste. Euro power metal is very much the dad jokes of the metal genre, there's a certain amount of 'so bad, it's good', even though a do genuinely enjoy the music.

And the singing was top notch, though next time the higher register is definitely needed, that's part of the fun.

July 26, 2019 10:27 AM
I really enjoy hating Helloween actually. It gives me genuine joy.