Future Feature Announcement: Filterable Subgenres

August 22, 2020 03:05 AM

I agree with you Xephyr.

How about the Pagan black metal & Depressive black metal subgenres? Different enough to warrant their own subgenres?

August 22, 2020 05:36 AM

How about the Pagan black metal & Depressive black metal subgenres? Different enough to warrant their own subgenres?

Quoted Daniel

I'm with you on this one Daniel. The biggest, though not only, differences are thematic. Sure, DSBM usually has a desperate quality to it, but as Daniel asks, is it enough to really necessitate a separate sub-genre? As an extension, does MA really need any sub-genre that is just thematically diverse rather than musically? If so then why not go all-in and include cosmic (or space) black metal and satanic black metal?

August 22, 2020 05:48 AM

Pagan black metal and Depressive black metal can both be valid subgenres. My question is, should Depressive black metal also be part of The Fallen clan, not just The North? It's kind of the second wave of black-doom with dark suicidal lyrics of death, depression and human suffering over the lo-fi high distortion and fast tremolo of black metal alongside the droning low distortion and slow timbres of doom metal. Then again, my examples of "depressive power metal" (earlier Sonata Arctica and recent Kamelot) are obviously not doomy at all...

August 22, 2020 05:57 AM

As an extension, does MA really need any sub-genre that is just thematically diverse rather than musically? If so then why not go all-in and include cosmic (or space) black metal and satanic black metal?

Quoted Sonny92

"Satanic black metal" is a bit redundant because satanism is often an essential part of black metal, but I suppose "cosmic black metal" can be a thing if there are more well-known black metal bands with cosmic/space themes than just Arcturus and Darkspace.

August 22, 2020 07:56 AM

I have listened to quite a bit of DSBM and I hear absolutely no reason to include it in The Fallen, despite the definition of it on RYM mentioning doom metal, in reality very little, if any, doom is present in the vast majority of releases.

August 22, 2020 08:14 AM

This is the one new feature I would have least interest in.  I don’t care much for sub-genres if I am honest.  What’s that you’ve included some depressive elements to your black metal? Great.  It’s still just black metal as a title as far as I am concerned.  

I am not knocking anyone here, there’s a lot of very passionate metal heads on here and if this floats your boat then sail on you classification crazy cats.  As long as I can still search on Death, Black, etc I am fine.

August 25, 2020 04:20 AM

Late to the party (as usual) but I like this idea.  Sometimes you just want delve into a micro-niche, because nothing else really works (at the time). For example, I like Candlemass, but I’m a much bigger fan of St. Vitus/Pagan Alter/Paul Chain Violet Theater and am more interested in hearing bands that sound like those. So yeah, I’m all for sub genres even within something like Trad Doom. Perhaps Candlemass would be Epic Trad Doom while the others would be Classic Trad Doom? Whatever, just as long as the distinction is made. A few suggestions for the Sphere: There is Neue Deutsche Harte of course,  but there are also specific strains based on Godflesh/Earache on one end and Ministry/WaxTrax on the other (I’m pretty sure this has been pointed out already). These two strains have specific sounds, but I’m not sure what the titles would be offhand. To round things out for that clan, I guess you could just say “modern” for stuff like Author and Punisher.