New Feature #6: Gallery

September 12, 2020 09:36 AM

Ben, I think now that we have enough active members rating album covers, the momentum is enough for the 5-rating minimum to be necessary. So when you're next available, please add that limit!
Quoted shadowdoom9

While I agree with the general idea here, the only potential problem I can see is it may end up favouring the bigger, more popular albums (and their covers) over lesser ones. I suspect some (myself included) like to go to the gallery from time to time and look for new additions with a high score, which can help see some more obscure albums that other users love the covers of. If a 5 score minimum was implemented, we wouldn't see these lesser known albums in there.

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
September 14, 2020 05:14 AM

I agree with Tymell. I initially thought that a minimum ratings option would make sense the way it does for releases, but I've actually really enjoyed going into the Gallery every few days and voting on any covers that appear (that I haven't yet voted for). There's some really great stuff that people find that we simply wouldn't see if there was a minimum ratings filter.

Since you don't have to have heard a release to vote on its cover, I now don't think we'll ever have a minimum rating for The Gallery. It seems shadowdoom9 might disagree with this, so does anyone else have any feedback? As always, I like to make decisions as a community wherever possible.

September 14, 2020 05:43 AM

I see the appeal of both sides regarding the minimum rating for the gallery. I think it would be awesome if you added an option (Both for the gallery and charts) to edit the minimum number of ratings to customize it if you wanted. Even if it were only a couple options, like 1, 5, and 10. I realize you can already pretty much do this on the "releases" tab, but there's still no way to sort by album art rating there! Think that'll be implemented?

Ben
Ben
September 14, 2020 06:16 AM

Anything is possible. I'll add it to the list.

September 14, 2020 08:08 AM

I agree with Tymell. I initially thought that a minimum ratings option would make sense the way it does for releases, but I've actually really enjoyed going into the Gallery every few days and voting on any covers that appear (that I haven't yet voted for). There's some really great stuff that people find that we simply wouldn't see if there was a minimum ratings filter.

Since you don't have to have heard a release to vote on its cover, I now don't think we'll ever have a minimum rating for The Gallery. It seems shadowdoom9 might disagree with this, so does anyone else have any feedback? As always, I like to make decisions as a community wherever possible.

Quoted Ben

I am with you and Tymell.  I have spent a good few hours since the inception of the Gallery rating artwork and have made some cool discoveries.  Let’s keep it open for us to see as much as possible.

Ben
Ben
September 14, 2020 08:28 AM

Speaking of potential new features, go check out the Gallery now. You can now look for the top rating covers that you haven't yet rated. :smile:

September 14, 2020 09:46 AM

Speaking of potential new features, go check out the Gallery now. You can now look for the top rating covers that you haven't yet rated. :smile:

Quoted Ben

That's great, Ben! This should help members who want to check out some of the coolest artworks that they haven't rated yet or explore different bands. Can you please do the same thing for the charts, for anyone who wants to find higher-rated bands they haven't rated or listened to yet? Thanks.

September 14, 2020 01:49 PM

Quoted Ben

That is a dangerous, dangerous button for me.

September 14, 2020 02:09 PM

I'm with the consensus on this one. Being a cover artwork junkie I too am enjoying finding covers I may never have come across whilst checking back with the gallery every few days. Great feature to be able to filter covers you haven't rated yet - saves delving through them all again.