Some cool new site improvements

Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
First Post January 14, 2020 05:10 AM

We've made some improvements to the site and would love to hear your feedback. Thanks to everyone that has made suggestions. The list of improvements is below...

1. Now when you're on a List page, you can select other site members from the drop down to see what ratings they've given to each release.
  2. On the individual Clan pages, you can now see how many releases there are on the site for that clan along with how many of them that you've already rated.
  3. The site now has a favicon. At the top of your browser you should see a red skull for each Metal Academy page you have open.
  4. You can now filter by clan in the Hall of Judgement, allowing you to quickly see which judgements you can influence.
  5. The Members list on each Clan page now only shows members that have rated a release. The lists were getting very long, and will filled with members that joined up and then disappeared.
  6. There are now links on each of the Clan pages that will take you to the other parts of the site with that clan already filtered. So if you're on the clan page for The Horde and you click Go to Clan's Bands, you'll be taken to the Bands page with The Horde already selected.
January 14, 2020 07:46 AM

Item 1 is really cool. I dunno why but it just is. I also love that I can filter in the Hall & the links on the clan pages are very handy indeed.

January 14, 2020 06:10 PM

Nice improvements, Ben. The clan links are likely to be particularly useful.

I like that I can see how many releases for a particular clan I've rated too - let's me know how much there's still to do!

Good idea to hide the empty users from the clan list too - will be especially relevant as the number of users increases, I would think. I assume if one of those users starts rating they will then become visible?

January 14, 2020 06:12 PM

Is #1 fully implemented yet Ben, as it doesn't seem to be working for me?

Ben
Ben
January 14, 2020 07:39 PM

Nice improvements, Ben. The clan links are likely to be particularly useful.

I like that I can see how many releases for a particular clan I've rated too - let's me know how much there's still to do!

Good idea to hide the empty users from the clan list too - will be especially relevant as the number of users increases, I would think. I assume if one of those users starts rating they will then become visible?

Quoted Sonny92

Yes, as soon as a member rates a release, they'll appear in the Members section.

Ben
Ben
January 14, 2020 07:42 PM

Is #1 fully implemented yet Ben, as it doesn't seem to be working for me?

Quoted Sonny92

Yes, although it might not be immediately apparent. You can still see your own rating (stars), while the member you've selected's ratings appear in numerical form just below it. So as long as you're picking a member that has actually rated something on a list, you won't notice any difference. Below is what I see when I select you while on the first Doom Metal challenge.

January 14, 2020 08:02 PM

Ah, thanks for that Ben, I was expecting it to filter the list, I didn't notice the selected user's ratings coming up under mine.

Nice feature.

January 14, 2020 10:20 PM
Great improvements, Ben. And cool new favicon!
Ben
Ben
January 15, 2020 09:04 PM

Another improvement! If you visit the Releases section, you will now see that you can show "Only releases I've rated". So now you can exclude or include releases that you've rated.

Thanks to Sonny92 for the request.

Ben
Ben
January 16, 2020 09:35 PM
To finish off this round of site improvements, I've increased the minimum ratings for the charts from 3 to 5. I'll continue to increase this as the site grows in numbers, and eventually apply some form of Bayesian formula to it. I'm sure you'll agree that the latest change has made the charts more useful for finding great metal.
January 16, 2020 10:14 PM

Nice one with the chance to filter by releases we've rated, Ben.

Now it's a lot easier to compile those pesky lists of "favourite death doom albums released in 2002" and so on. Essential for me - as anyone who's seen my many lists on RYM may attest!

January 17, 2020 11:50 AM

I notice the minimum ratings for the charts has been increased to five now. Excellent!