July 2024 "Industrial Metal Invasion" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post July 01, 2024 01:06 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Gothminister - "Battle of the Underworlds" from Pandemonium II: The Battle of the Underworlds (2024) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

2. PAIN - "Same Old Song" from Dancing With the Dead (2005)

3. Breach the Void - "Subversive Mind" from The Monochromatic Era (2010)

4. Deathstars - "Cyanide" from Termination Bliss (2006) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

5. Strapping Young Lad - "Oh My Fucking God" from City (1997) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

6. Dodheimsgard - "Final Conquest" from 666 International (1999) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

7. Shadow Domain - "Give Up On Joy" from Digital Divide (2018)

8. Illidiance - "New Millennium Crushers" from Damage Theory (2010)

9. The CNK - "Die HolzHammerMethode" from L'hymne a la joie (2007)

10. Fear Factory - "Self Immolation (Liquid Sky Mix)" from Fear is the Mindkiller (1993) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Celldweller, Northlane - "Soul Parasites (Northlane Remix)" from Satellites (Remixed) (2023) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. Bad Omens, ERRA - "ANYTHING > HUMAN" from CONCRETE JUNGLE [THE OST] (2024)

13. Acumen Nation - "Coming Down" from Coming Down: The Bastard Remix Album (2002)

14. Shining - "Need" from International Blackjazz Society (2015)

15. KONG - "Whorl" from Push Comes to Shove (1995)

16. 2 Times Terror - "Ikävässä Paikassa" from Equals One Sudden Death (2010)

17. Fange - "Césarienne Au Noir" from Perdition (2024)

18. Uniform, The Body - "Not Good Enough" from Everything That Dies Someday Comes Back (2019)

19. Skrew - "Cold Angel Press" from Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame (1992)

20. Comecon – "Ulcer" from Megatrends in Brutality (1992) [submitted by Daniel]

21. The Amenta - "Black God" from Plague of Locus (2023)

22. Godflesh - "Go Spread Your Wings" from Selfless (1994)

July 02, 2024 12:32 AM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Gothminister - "Battle of the Underworlds" from Pandemonium II: The Battle of the Underworlds (2024)

5/5. Opening with uplifting ethereal strings is the title track of the sequel to Gothminister's Pandemonium, that becomes a true anthem of war, as the guitar/keyboard majesty is accompanied by the vocals of Bjorn and a female vocalist (Sandra Jensen?) to add to the theatricality. An epic beginning!

PAIN - "Same Old Song" from Dancing With the Dead (2005)

5/5. Same old song, but I never get tired of it, it's so awesome! I love the vocals of Peter Tagtgren. "You're welcome to my world, dark side of the universe." I prefer Pain rather than the death metal of his other band Hypocrisy.

Breach the Void - "Subversive Mind" from The Monochromatic Era (2010)

4.5/5. This song is so f***ing destructive, though it's toned down a bit by the clean singing. The band's drummer is Alex Anxionaz, from Sybreed's debut album Slave Design.

Deathstars - "Cyanide" from Termination Bliss (2006)

5/5. This one is a perfect hooker! Great rhythm alongside more of those deep dark vocals. They probably work better in studio than live and, along with the bass, shine more than the guitars that are still awesome. From the synth intro onward, you'll never get bored even after hundreds of listens.

Strapping Young Lad - "Oh My Fucking God" from City (1997)

5/5. This one will make you wanna scream that song title. It's one of the heaviest songs I've heard in my life, probably heavier than even Morbid Angel and Slayer combined! Lots of sounds and build-ups from different dimensions can be heard, not for the faint-hearted. Even the violins change the time signatures! F***ING BRUTAL!!!!!

Dodheimsgard - "Final Conquest" from 666 International (1999)

4.5/5. Another underrated gem, this one of industrial black metal.

Shadow Domain - "Give Up On Joy" from Digital Divide (2018)

4/5. Never give up on cyber metal and its digital power and glory!

Illidiance - "New Millennium Crushers" from Damage Theory (2010)

4.5/5. Illidiance's songs may be short, but they can squeeze all these perfect rhythms and epic melodies in that short amount of time. This is like a more cyber take on pop-ish melodeath bands like Blood Stain Child and Scar Symmetry.

The CNK - "Die HolzHammerMethode" from L'hymne a la joie (2007)

4/5. A bad-a** piece of French industrial/symphonic metal. Enough said!

Fear Factory - "Self Immolation (Liquid Sky Mix)" from Fear is the Mindkiller (1993)

4.5/5. The more atmospheric sounds in this "Self Immolation" remix have paid off well. The death metal aggression is in perfect flow with the techno groove, another remix saving the EP from being a total disaster.

Celldweller, Northlane - "Soul Parasites (Northlane Remix)" from Satellites (Remixed) (2023)

5/5. I can't believe how perfectly Celldweller and Northlane can come together. The energy f***ing rips through each band's new sound. There's a lot more heavy fire than some songs from Celldweller's first two vocal albums. Absolutely bad-a**! H*ll, I was a little nervous about how this remix would turn out before the first time I heard it, but I'm glad it turned out so d*mn well.

Bad Omens, ERRA - "ANYTHING > HUMAN" from CONCRETE JUNGLE [THE OST] (2024)

5/5. Really peaking at the height of the Concrete Jungle album is Bad Omens' collaboration with ERRA. The guest appearances by that progressive metalcore band's two vocalists shine as beautiful as Noah's vocals. An absolute favorite of mine that should be heard by future generations!

Acumen Nation - "Coming Down" from Coming Down: The Bastard Remix Album (2002)

4.5/5. There are several different versions of "Coming Down" in this remix album, and this one's the amazing original.

Shining - "Need" from International Blackjazz Society (2015)

5/5. The Norwegian jazz metal band Shining is not to be confused with similarly named Swedish DSBM band. This is what I really need to jazz up my metal!

KONG - "Whorl" from Push Comes to Shove (1995)

4.5/5. Another piece of jazzy progressive industrial metal, but I prefer to get it from Shining.

2 Times Terror - "Ikävässä Paikassa" from Equals One Sudden Death (2010)

4/5. A high-quality climatic piece of dance-metal. The keyboards and guitars are in perfect union. It may be too accessible for pure metalheads, but it rules!

Fange - "Césarienne Au Noir" from Perdition (2024)

3.5/5. A darker, sludgier take on Godflesh. Pretty good, but I like Godflesh more.

Uniform, The Body - "Not Good Enough" from Everything That Dies Someday Comes Back (2019)

4/5. This one is all I want from this intense sound and more. It is a mighty monolith with post-punk-ish riffing.

Skrew - "Cold Angel Press" from Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame (1992)

4.5/5. This one is the best in both the song title and the song itself, even bringing back the horror film vibe in the vocals.

Comecon – "Ulcer" from Megatrends in Brutality (1992)

5/5. Well this is a little surprising, considering Comecon is usually a death metal band. However, the first two minutes have enough Skrew-like industrial metal to qualify for The Sphere. Then the rest of the song is grind-ish death metal. And I love it!!! Thanks for this, Daniel! RIP L-G Petrov

The Amenta - "Black God" from Plague of Locus (2023)

4.5/5. Amazing cover of a My Dying Bride song to close off this Amenta cover album. Though it would be great if they could cover one of the heavier My Dying Bride songs.

Godflesh - "Go Spread Your Wings" from Selfless (1994)

5/5. This 24-minute final epic is the longest Godflesh song and my favorite of the album, possibly of the band. It is a modern epic journey through Broadrick's tunnel of imagination, as drums and guitars pound along. This might surely beat the previous album's "Pure II" as Godflesh's ultimate epic!

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some slight drops in quality throughout. Anyway, I recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!