May 2024 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post April 30, 2024 11:15 PM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Sphere, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is an album by New York City-based industrial rock project Argyle Park and the only one under a different industrial metal incarnation AP2, their 2000 release Suspension of Disbelief. Featuring Klayton from his own two projects Circle of Dust and the more famous Celldweller, this AP2 offering is one of the most innovative industrial rock/metal albums I've heard and I think should be discussed more in this site.

https://metal.academy/releases/50585

April 30, 2024 11:34 PM

Here's my review summary:

Argyle Park was an industrial rock/metal project Klayton was in between his own two projects Circle of Dust and the more famous Celldweller. The other founder of this project goes by the name Buka. Despite being signed to Christian labels, their dark lyrics and contributions from secular artists caused some controversy in the Christian music scene. Their record label R.E.X. tried to censor a track in the band's album Misguided. Because of all this, the band split up after only two years of activity. Fast forward a few years, the band reformed under a different name AP2, and released a second album titled Suspension of Disbelief. While the poor sales and criticism caused the band to end again, this is one of the most innovative industrial rock/metal albums I've heard. The darkness is what I love! The industrial sound rages on in the heavy songs then quiets down in the slower ones, and sometimes their techno/trance/drum n bass influences shine in an enjoyable way alongside other experimental aspects to make underrated works of art. Not one other project could attempt to make the darkest, most experimental industrial rock/metal in the Christian music scene. It's a risk that caused them to be shunned by the scene, but at least industrial metal fans like myself would have something to listen to a lot every now and then!

5/5

Recommend tracks: "My Sympathies", "A New Wound", "The Red Shirt Conspiracy", "The Pact", "Resurrection of the Ravens", "The Only Man I Know"

For fans of: Nine Inch Nails, Celldweller, Psyclon Nine