March 2024 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post March 01, 2024 01:45 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Godflesh - "Like Rats" from Streetcleaner (1989) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

2. Turmion Katilot - "Hengita" from Hengita (2022)

3. Rave the Reqviem - "Ofelia" from Ofelia (2023)

4. Dodheimsgard - "Ion Storm" (title swapped with "Carpet Bombing" on Spotify) from 666 International (1999) [submitted by Daniel]

5. Eisbrecher - "Liebe Macht Monster" from Liebe Macht Monster (2021)

6. Rob Zombie - "Demonoid Phenomenon" from Hellbilly Deluxe (1998)

7. Static-X - "Black Star" from Project: Regeneration Vol. 2 (2024)

8. Mnemic - "Deathbox" from The Audio Injected Soul (2004) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

9. Red Harvest - "Cybernaut" from Sick Transit Gloria Mundi (2002) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

10. Blood From the Soul - "Natures Hole" from To Spite the Gland That Breeds (1994)

11. Killing Joke - "Whiteout" from Pandemonium (1994)

12. Fear Factory - "Cloning Technology" from Remanufacture – Cloning Technology (1997) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

13. In This Moment - "We Will Rock You" from Mother (2020) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

14. Ghostemane - "Convoluted" from Fear Network II (2021)

15. Realize - "Crest Dispersal" from Two Human Minutes (2023)

16. White Zombie - "Blood, Milk and Sky (Miss September Mix)" from Supersexy Swingin' Sounds (1996)

17. Raubtier - "En hjältes väg" from Skriet Från Vildmarken (2010)

18. Emigrate - "This is What" from Emigrate (2007)

19. The Mad Capsule Markets - "Let It Rip -Download From Joujouka" from CiSTm K0nFLiqT (2004)

20. Lord of the Lost - "The Heart is a Traitor" from Judas (2021)

21. Khost - "Iversion" from Corrosive Shroud (2015)

22. P.H.O.B.O.S. - "Gregarious" from Tectonics (2005)

23. Sybreed - "Ex Inferis" from Antares (2007)

24. Neurotech - "The Halcyon Symphony" from Symphonies (2016)

25. Gothminister - "Somewhere in Time" from The Other Side (2017) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

March 01, 2024 03:12 PM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Godflesh - "Like Rats" from Streetcleaner (1989)

5/5. Kicking off this playlist is one of the heavier well-known industrial metal tracks, a furious groove track with a noise-powered bridge ("You breed...like rats!!").

Turmion Katilot - "Hengita" from Hengita (2022)

5/5. An absolute Finnish party rock anthem! The vocals are a bit drowned out, but I don't care.

Rave the Reqviem - "Ofelia" from Ofelia (2023)

4.5/5. Spotify knows what I like when searching for industrial metal. I love the idea of several vocalists at once, something already used by Amaranthe. The amazing beauty of the female vocals ("All colors have faded, but one inside you, like the eyes of the devil eternally blue") are leveled up by the background male choirs when they sing "O-Ofelia!" How f***ing g****mn serene! What's also interesting is, the ex-female vocalist before the new one is the mother of the frontman.

Dodheimsgard - "Ion Storm" (title swapped with "Carpet Bombing" on Spotify) from 666 International (1999)

4/5. This one greatly displays what its original album is about; an industrial beat and shouting that leads into black metal riffing. Industrial black metal really takes time to sink in, and it can sink in well for those who have black metal in their passion.

Eisbrecher - "Liebe Macht Monster" from Liebe Macht Monster (2021)

3.5/5. Some nice well-done lyrics despite being all in German. Next!

Rob Zombie - "Demonoid Phenomenon" from Hellbilly Deluxe (1998)

4/5. This one prevails in dark anarchy.

Static-X - "Black Star" from Project: Regeneration Vol. 2 (2024)

4.5/5. The project continues greatly. RIP Wayne Static.

Mnemic - "Deathbox" from The Audio Injected Soul (2004)

5/5. This single has tons of madness to be injected in your mind and soul, especially in the AM3D technology.

Red Harvest - "Cybernaut" from Sick Transit Gloria Mundi (2002)

4.5/5. REALITY IS BORING! Escape into the industrial fantasy of this band!

Blood From the Soul - "Natures Hole" from To Spite the Gland That Breeds (1994)

4/5. Sludgy hardcore industrial metal. Enough said!

Killing Joke - "Whiteout" from Pandemonium (1994)

4/5. Then we return to the heavier chaos with the kind of energy I needed to make sure I don't get bored to death at some points.

Fear Factory - "Cloning Technology" from Remanufacture – Cloning Technology (1997)

4.5/5. The Remanufacture remixes are quite killer, though they don't do the exact same justice as the originals. Industrial remixes can sometimes kick f***ing a**. "I DON'T WANT TO LIVE THAT WAY!"

In This Moment - "We Will Rock You" from Mother (2020)

5/5. This one lights up the fire as an epic cover of the Queen hit, featuring Lzzy Hale (Halestorm) and Taylor Momsen (The Pretty Reckless). F*** yeah, that's the female-powered anthem we need alongside Evanescence's "Use My Voice"!

Ghostemane - "Convoluted" from Fear Network II (2021)

4.5/5. This is f***ing one of those weird yet underrated songs. We really need more songs like this that aren't as bare industrial as Front Line Assembly or Skinny Puppy.

Realize - "Crest Dispersal" from Two Human Minutes (2023)

4/5. Things get a bit weirder while still enjoyable to some degree.

White Zombie - "Blood, Milk and Sky (Miss September Mix)" from Supersexy Swingin' Sounds (1996)

3.5/5. Basically one of my favorite songs from Astro-Creep 2000 given a sexier remix treatment by P.M. Dawn. RIP Prince Be

Raubtier - "En hjältes väg" from Skriet Från Vildmarken (2010)

3/5. Sabaton would make a cover of this song, and that's actually more worth listening to than the original.

Emigrate - "This is What" from Emigrate (2007)

3.5/5. This is WHAT?! This is a cool song from this Rammstein side-project, that's what!

The Mad Capsule Markets - "Let It Rip -Download From Joujouka" from CiSTm K0nFLiqT (2004)

4/5. 3, 2, 1! Let the techno-industrial metal rip!

Lord of the Lost - "The Heart is a Traitor" from Judas (2021)

3.5/5. G****mn these driving drums, they're so good!

Khost - "Iversion" from Corrosive Shroud (2015)

3/5. A bit too drone-ish there. Let's move on...

P.H.O.B.O.S. - "Gregarious" from Tectonics (2005)

3.5/5. Same with this one, but with a more brain-melting blend of heaviness and melody.

Sybreed - "Ex Inferis" from Antares (2007)

4/5. A Sybreed song ending up on the radio of a movie/video game soundtrack would be interesting. Think HALO or Red Alert.

Neurotech - "The Halcyon Symphony" from Symphonies (2016)

4.5/5. Neurotech's symphonies can take your soul through a galactic adventure. Wulf knows how to master the art of symphonies as greatly as Hans Zimmer, and possibly also Mozart and Bach, while blending the orchestral arrangements with his usual cyber metal. It's impressive how well your creativity can take you when composing such a piece. This should really be more popular, seriously! The speaker frequency would be greatly enhanced with its intricacy and drama. F***ing outstanding!

Gothminister - "Somewhere in Time" from The Other Side (2017)

5/5. After two instrumentals (one short and one long), it all comes down to something so spooky, and I'm just talking about the riffing and whispered baritone vocals. It's actually a melodic symphonic closer to this dark industrial metal journey.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some bumpiness throughout, especially in the second half. Anyway, I recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!