January 2024 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 31, 2023 12:00 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Samael - "Exodus" from Exodus (1998) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

2. Godflesh - "Post Self" from Post Self (2017)

3. Red Harvest - "Absolut Dunkel: Heit" from Cold Dark Matter (2000)

4. Trust Obey - "The Soul is a Temple of Wire Carcasses" from Fear and Bullets: The Tides of Sin (2018)

5. Irving Force - "Void" from Void (2020)

6. Aesthetic Perfection - "S E X" from S E X (2021)

7. Ludovico Technique - "Silence" from Silence (2022)

8. Fear Factory - "Replica" from Demanufacture (1995) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

9. Omega Lithium - "Kinetik" from Kinetik (2011)

10. Deathstars - "The Perfect Cult" from The Perfect Cult (2014) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Mechina - "Tyrannos" from Telesterion (2019)

12. Oblivion Machine - "Reflexion and Dust" from The Moon Ailments Anthology (2017)

13. Sybreed - "Revive My Wounds" from Antares (2007)

14. Pain - "Leave Me Alone" from You Only Live Once (2011) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

15. In This Moment - "Everything Starts and Ends with You" from Godmode (2023) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

16. Khost - "Last Furnace" from Buried Steel (2020)

17. Diabolicum - "Chained on Demonwings" from The Grandeur of Hell (1999)

18. Megaherz - "Kannst Du Den Himmel Sehn?" from In Teufels Namen (2023)

19. SKYND - "Richard Ramirez" from Chapter I (2018)

20. Killing Joke - "Invocation" from Hosannas from the Basements of Hell (2006)

21. Unheilig - "Puppenspiel" from Puppenspiel (2008)

22. Dodheimsgard - "21st Century Devil" from Supervillain Outcast (2007)

23. Mnemic - "Within" from Sons of the System (2010)

24. Gothminister - "Thriller (Extended Version)" from Happiness in Darkness (2008) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

January 02, 2024 12:52 PM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Samael - "Exodus" from Exodus (1998)

4.5/5. A great song to start this playlist. What can I say?

Godflesh - "Post Self" from Post Self (2017)

5/5. This one opens with the band's classic sound; a pounding drum beat and simple heavy riffing. The soundscape is relaxing yet dissonant. Nothing's out of place! This cohesive sound is still doing well after all those years of experience.

Red Harvest - "Absolut Dunkel: Heit" from Cold Dark Matter (2000)

4.5/5. HOLY F***, Red harvest has gone black metal, with Fenriz of Darkthrone by their side! And things get more insane at over the one and a half minute mark.

Trust Obey - "The Soul is a Temple of Wire Carcasses" from Fear and Bullets: The Tides of Sin (2018)

4/5. Pretty great long ambient industrial metal track, though a bit draggy.

Irving Force - "Void" from Void (2020)

3.5/5. A good catchy industrial metal single, something radio listeners shouldn't chicken out from listening to.

Aesthetic Perfection - "S E X" from S E X (2021)

4/5. Aesthetic Perfection has spawned a touch of golden fire, heated by the guitar skills of Sebastian Svalland (PAIN, In Mourning).

Ludovico Technique - "Silence" from Silence (2022)

4.5/5. I'm glad to find some good discoveries on Spotify when assembling my playlists. This band's goth-ish industrial metal remains standing.

Fear Factory - "Replica" from Demanufacture (1995)

5/5. Perhaps the most famous song by the band! It's not my ultimate favorite song from the band, but its straight pace and killer chorus make that single a perfect one. It was later covered by symphonic metal band Epica. If you're not sure about that cover, don't be an Epica "Replica" replica skeptica! lol

Omega Lithium - "Kinetik" from Kinetik (2011)

5/5. This one perfectly exemplifies what its original album is made of, from the beating heart.

Deathstars - "The Perfect Cult" from The Perfect Cult (2014)

5/5. Another perfect track that you just gotta hear to believe!

Mechina - "Tyrannos" from Telesterion (2019)

4.5/5. 2019 is one of metal's greatest years in the modern era. This epic-sounding piece of cinematic classical cyber metal might help seal that deal. And the lyrics are delivered well too, "CHILDREN OF EMPYREAN, DESCENDANTS OF ACHERON".

Oblivion Machine - "Reflexion and Dust" from The Moon Ailments Anthology (2017)

4/5. High-quality cyber metal. Enough said!

Sybreed - "Revive My Wounds" from Antares (2007)

4.5/5. I haven't heard much from this band, but the beat here is so d*mn good.

Pain - "Leave Me Alone" from You Only Live Once (2011)

5/5. I just adore both PAIN's cover of this song and the original by Sonic Syndicate. This might fit well for the soundtrack of action-packed anime shows like Black Rock Shooter. Lots of incredible potential here!

In This Moment - "Everything Starts and Ends with You" from Godmode (2023)

4.5/5. In This Moment has been adopting more NIN-esque electronic influences than before. There is one person in your realm that will be your life-force, from the start to the end. Their new album Godmode brings back their earlier elements from their first 4 albums while continuing their more industrial direction. It certainly can work for a video game of heavenly universal connection. While the albums since Black Widow aren't quite the same as their earlier ones, they still have the ability to throw back.

Khost - "Last Furnace" from Buried Steel (2020)

4/5. Some early Godflesh vibes can be found in this song in a more drone-ish pace.

Diabolicum - "Chained on Demonwings" from The Grandeur of Hell (1999)

3.5/5. Industrial black metal that acts as kind of a bridge between Dodheimsgard's Satanic Art and 666 International.

Megaherz - "Kannst Du Den Himmel Sehn?" from In Teufels Namen (2023)

3/5. Seems like the band is restoring their earlier balladry, but it sounds a little too emo-ish to me.

SKYND - "Richard Ramirez" from Chapter I (2018)

4.5/5. My favorite of this SKYND EP. Skynd herself sings more naturally here, and it's quite fantastic, though I'm OK with the strange effects. Richard Ramirez was another serial killer, known as the Night Stalker.

Killing Joke - "Invocation" from Hosannas from the Basements of Hell (2006)

4/5. The music and lyrics sound f***ing supernatural here. I definitely like the beat. This was Paul Raven's last album with the band before his passing the next year, RIP. There's some ominous cello to go along with the strings. It would've been cooler if the beat was more synchronized, but it's still OK.

Unheilig - "Puppenspieler" from Puppenspiel (2008)

3.5/5. Another nice crazy song to enjoy a bit. Next!

Dodheimsgard - "21st Century Devil" from Supervillain Outcast (2007)

4/5. I'm quite obsessed with the music this band has made, even with their sound always changing. Still this can't beat 666 International. The song title is a highly possible reference to "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson, and has a similar experimental industrial metal vibe to Voivod's cover. I love the beginning synths.

Mnemic - "Within" from Sons of the System (2010)

4.5/5. This is another well-accomplished feat, where the nice melody is in engaging contrast with the heavy groove.

Gothminister - "Thriller (Extended Version)" from Happiness in Darkness (2008)

5/5. Ending this playlist is a superb cover of that Michael Jackson hit. It's clear that Brem is straining beyond his limits, but that doesn't matter. This is the extended version that's twice as long and includes part of the original narration by Vincent Price. More fitting for the October playlist as a Halloween special, but never mind.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some bumpiness throughout, especially in the second half. Anyway, I recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!