November 2023 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 01, 2023 12:55 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Strapping Young Lad - "Imperial" from Alien (2005)

2. PAIN - "Revolution" from Revolution (2023) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

3. In This Moment - "Godmode" from Godmode (2023) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

4. Rammstein - "Zeit" from Zeit (2022)

5. Danzig - "Sacrifice" from Danzig 5: Blackacidevil (1996)

6. Fall of Because - "Life is Easy" from Life is Easy (1999)

7. Misery Loves Co. - "My Mind Still Speaks" from Misery Loves Co. (1995)

8. White Zombie - "Electric Head, Part 1 (The Agony)" from Astro-Creep: 2000 - Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head (1995)

9. Genitorturers - "Sin City" from Sin City (1998)

10. 16volt - "Motorskill" from Wisdom (1993) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. OLD - "Marzuraan" from Lo Flux Tube (1991) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

12. Fear Factory - "Soul Hacker" from Genexus (2015) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

13. HEALTH - "CHILDREN OF SORROW" from CHILDREN OF SORROW (2023)

14. Static-X - "Z0mbie" from Z0mbie (2023)

15. Celldweller - "ShutEmDown" from Soundtrack for the Voices in My Head Vol. 02 (2012)

16. Sybreed - "The Line of Least Resistance" from God is an Automation (2012)

17. Illidiance - "Breaking the Limit" from Damage Theory (2010)

18. Minority Sound - "Hate Circulation" from Drowner's Dance (2015)

19. T3CHN0PH0B1A - "Abduction Starfleet" from Grave New World (2008)

20. Aborym - "Mental Striken Terror Action" from With No Human Intervention (2003)

21. ASP - "Furst der Finsternis" from Horrors - A Collection of Gothic Novellas (2023)

22. Hanzel Und Gretyl - "Aufweiderschen" from Uber Alles (2003)

23. KMFDM - "WWIII" from WWIII (2003)

24. Tyrant of Death - "Nuclear Nanosecond" from Nuclear Nanosecond (2013)

25. Die Krupps - "Road Rage Warrior" from V - Metal Machine Music (2015)

26. Andrew Hulshult - "Keepers of the Gate" from Dusk (Original Game Soundtrack) (2018)

27. Godflesh - "The Infinite End" from Post Self (2017) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

28. Acumen Nation - "Bleed for You" from More Human Heart (1997)

29. 2wo - "Bed of Rust" from Voyeurs (1998)

November 02, 2023 01:10 AM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Strapping Young Lad - "Imperial" from Alien (2005)

4.5/5. Kicking off this playlist with a bang is this fantastic crushing intro. The song features humans within this machine; drummer Gene Hoglan, guitarist Jed Simon, bassist Byron Stroud, and Devin Townsend who also plays guitars while screaming with a bit of clean vocals. Great start!

PAIN - "Revolution" from Revolution (2023)

5/5. I only became interested in PAIN this year, and there's never a boring song. This is a beautiful inspiring masterpiece of a song. Peter Tagtgren is such a creative dude.

In This Moment - "Godmode" from Godmode (2023)

5/5. Maria Brink is a beautiful talented leader of her amazing band. Godmode already hints at a return to their heavier feel.

Rammstein - "Zeit" from Zeit (2022)

4.5/5. Mourning this virus-ridden cruelty, this ballad has soft piano and vocals, sounding restrained while still beautiful and remarkable.

Danzig - "Sacrifice" from Danzig 5: Blackacidevil (1996)

4/5. This one starts with a Nine Inch Nails-like intro before launching into a perfect industrial metal single that should've ended up in the 1997 Spawn film soundtrack.

Fall of Because - "Life is Easy" from Life is Easy (1999)

4.5/5. This song was re-recorded for Godflesh's Streetcleaner, with an approach easily compared to Swans before they moved out of their original industrial-noise sound at that time. Thanks to the dual guitar attack, bands like Pitchshifter would be able to emphasize their discordant lead work and help develop industrial metal.

Misery Loves Co. - "My Mind Still Speaks" from Misery Loves Co. (1995)

4/5. At the start of this track, you already know what a great industrial metal journey this is gonna be. The abrasive metal guitars play through the vocal blend of the growls of death metal and the singing of alternative metal.

White Zombie - "Electric Head, Part 1 (The Agony)" from Astro-Creep: 2000 - Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head (1995)

4.5/5. This one starts the album with awesome rock/metal riffing. There's intense speed, though not in faster metal levels, giving the track mighty power. This album and Fear Factory are great examples of industrial metal getting you higher than stoner metal listeners, without ever having to use drugs.

Genitorturers - "Sin City" from Sin City (1998)

4/5. This aggressive track offers some stylistic tricks up their sleeve.

16volt - "Motorskill" from Wisdom (1993)

4.5/5. This is an amazing industrial metal track like none other. The coldness of the riffing and beats march on with no fear. Anyone who thought this kind of mix shouldn't exist would be wrong!

OLD - "Marzuraan" from Lo Flux Tube (1991)

5/5. One of my favorite songs from this band with innovative catchy noise, surpassing some of Godflesh's greatness.

Fear Factory - "Soul Hacker" from Genexus (2015)

4.5/5. Another groove-powered anthem worth it for the mosh pit.

HEALTH - "CHILDREN OF SORROW" from CHILDREN OF SORROW (2023)

4/5. A powerful jam of dark synthwave metal.

Static-X - "Z0mbie" from Z0mbie (2023)

4.5/5. Xero's smashing vocals may have a bit of a Rob Zombie vibe, but they help keep Wayne's legacy alive. RIP Wayne Static

Celldweller - "ShutEmDown" from Soundtrack for the Voices in My Head Vol. 02 (2012)

5/5. Awesome metalstep that should fit well for a boss battle.

Sybreed - "The Line of Least Resistance" from God is an Automation (2012)

4.5/5. Holy f***, this cyber metal sound is just too good not to listen!

Illidiance - "Breaking the Limit" from Damage Theory (2010)

4/5. F***ing great piece of modern metal history! Those drums shall unleash a dark vortex as part of the bad-a** music.

Minority Sound - "Hate Circulation" from Drowner's Dance (2015)

4/5. More of this cyber metal potential to follow up from the Sybreed and Illidiance tracks.

T3CHN0PH0B1A - "Abduction Starfleet" from Grave New World (2008)

4.5/5. Sounds like this band has more of a harsher electronic sound, a bit like Psyclon Nine with Cradle of Filth vocals. The vocalist performs ungodly shrieks to unleash the industrial beast. I guess this can be spacey blackened electro-industrial metal. This is a different example of cyber metal from, say, Herrschaft, and it works well. You can also think of this as Blood Stain Child gone Immortal/Mayhem for a Kovenant-like blend. Still a bit of the energy from the keys and drums is missing, needing a bit of a kick.

Aborym - "Mental Striken Terror Action" from With No Human Intervention (2003)

5/5. Now there's the industrial black metal energy kick that I needed. Bravo!

ASP - "Furst der Finsternis" from Horrors - A Collection of Gothic Novellas (2023)

4.5/5. I was wondering when some more of the Neue Deutsche Härte would show up. This one's quite excellent though.

Hanzel Und Gretyl - "Aufweiderschen" from Uber Alles (2003)

4/5. This one fits well for when you're moving out of your childhood home and starting an independent path. I haven't had that experience yet, but I'll keep this song in mind for when I do. Beautiful whispers in a city in ruins before one final divebomb destroys the remains.

KMFDM - "WWIII" from WWIII (2003)

4.5/5. A great song to love, especially in the banjo intro before turning up the heavy volume. Seeing how this decade was suffering from COVID, followed by a couple wars in different regions, it may seem like WWIII may happen in the future. Stay peaceful, everyone! I can barely dig any of KMFDM's songs, but this one I can.

Tyrant of Death - "Nuclear Nanosecond" from Nuclear Nanosecond (2013)

4/5. The razor-sharp drumming blows my mind as much of the rest of the track that would fit well in a sci-fi movie/video game soundtrack set 100 years from now. This is pretty much instrumental atmospheric industrial deathgrind/progressive metalcore that sounds like if Celldweller and Mick Gordon made a collaboration for the Devil May Cry or Blade Runner soundtrack. The last minute of the track is certainly worth headbanging to. This can almost surpass the extreme factor of Strapping Young Lad's City!

Die Krupps - "Road Rage Warrior" from V - Metal Machine Music (2015)

3.5/5. Road Rage! He's a Road Rage Warrior!

Andrew Hulshult - "Keepers of the Gate" from Dusk (Original Game Soundtrack) (2018)

4/5. Some kick-A DOOM-like gaming metal with horror-filled atmosphere. Near the 3-minute mark, we switch to an eerily beautiful section with shotgun rhythm.

Godflesh - "The Infinite End" from Post Self (2017)

4.5/5. This track lets everything out from the band before ending with eerie synths, though it sounds like there should be more to come from the band. But at least there are a couple tracks to give this playlist a more complete ending.

Acumen Nation - "Bleed for You" from More Human Heart (1997)

4/5. This one makes me think of Red Harvest blended with the groove-ish instrumentation of Vision of Disorder at that time.

2wo - "Bed of Rust" from Voyeurs (1998)

3.5/5. Closing the playlist is the original album's epic-sounding climax. Seriously, you should stick around and be rewarded, despite a bit of trouble!

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite some bumpiness in towards the end. Anyway, I recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start for the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!