April 2023 Feature Release - The Sphere Edition

First Post April 01, 2023 01:12 AM

So just like that we find that a new month is upon us which of course means that we’ll be nominating a brand new monthly feature release for each clan. This essentially means that we’re asking you to rate, review & discuss our chosen features for no other reason than because we enjoy the process & banter. We’re really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our chosen releases so don’t be shy.

This month's feature release for The Gateway, nominated by me (Shadowdoom9 (Andi)), is the 1999 3rd album by Norwegian cyber metal inventors The Kovenant, Animatronic. This band started off as symphonic black metal band Covenant. After two albums, when they were forced to change their name due to a couple bands already using the name, they also changed their style to something different and new. Animatronic is a fantastic start for cyber metal and worth discussing in this site.

https://metal.academy/releases/4276

April 08, 2023 01:54 AM

I've done my review, here's its summary:

In order for a metal band to add a techno-dance into their mix, they need to put some effort in smooth rhythm and quick flowing beat, and The Kovenant have achieved that perfectly. Although I love the earlier black metal Covenant era, I'm better suited in the industrial-techno metal sound of The Kovenant. You can think of this as Children of Bodom gone Rammstein! Most of the first 4 songs here are probably some of the best industrial/cyber metal for me. Those tracks have epic-sounding techno-symphonic synths mixed with heavy guitars, strong beats, Filthy shrieks (get the pun?), and female operatic cleans. The rest of the album is excellent as well, with a couple tracks showing the band experimenting with small sections that don't relate to the music or lyrics. I would recommend this cyber metal masterpiece, especially most of the first 4 tracks, to fans of this industrial metal subgenre they pioneered. A true future-shaper!

5/5

Recommended tracks: "Mirror's Paradise", "New World Order", "Sindrom", "Prophecies of Fire", "The Birth of Tragedy"

For fans of: Deathstars, Rammstein, Samael