December 2022 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 01, 2022 12:32 AM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Gothminister - "Gothic Anthem" (from Gothic Electronic Anthems, 2003) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

2. Rob Zombie - "Dragula" (from Hellbilly Deluxe, 1998)

3. Nine Inch Nails - "Wish" (from Broken, 1992)

4. Static X - "All These Years" (from Project Regeneration, Vol. 1, 2020)

5. Lard - "Generation Execute" (from Pure Chewing Satisfaction, 1997)

6. Marilyn Manson - "The Reflective God" (from Antichrist Superstar, 1996)

7. Killing Joke - "Pandemonium" (from Pandemonium, 1994)

8. White Zombie - "Blood, Milk and Sky" (from Astro-Creep: 2000 – Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head, 1995)

9. Fear Factory - "Disruptor" (from Aggression Continuum, 2021)

10. Samael - "Rite of Renewal" (from Hegemony, 2017) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

11. Godflesh - "Anthem" (from Hymns, 2001) [submitted by Daniel]

12. Author and Punisher - "Kruller" (from Kruller, 2022)

13. Morgoth - "Watch the Fortune Wheel" (from Feel Sorry for the Fanatic, 1996)

14. Mnemic - "Mechanical Spin Phenomenon" (from Mechanical Spin Phenomena, 2003) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

15. Blue Stahli - "Anchor" (from Quartz, 2020)

16. Viral Millennium - "Vomitosis" (from Vomitosis, 2014)

17. Seecrees - "New Dawn" (from Genesis, 2012)

18. THE SIN:DECAY - "We Are All Slaves" (from Rehabilitation, 2007)

19. Psyclon Nine - "Crwn Thy Frnicatr" (from Crwn Thy Frnicatr, 2006) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

20. Andrew Hulshult - "Dusk" (from DUSK (Original Game Soundtrack), 2019)

21. Dawn of Ashes - "Carnal Consummation in the Empty Space (To Mega Therion Mix)" (from Farewell to the Flesh, 2012) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

22. Dolor - "Metamorphosis" (Tanz der Schatten (Der Clown), 2010)

23. Treibhaus - "Kodex" (from Feinbild, 2006)

24. Motionless in White - "Final Dictvm" (from Reincarnate, 2014) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

25. Ministry - "Amerikka" (from Amerikkkant, 2018)

December 01, 2022 12:30 PM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Gothminister - "Gothic Anthem" (from Gothic Electronic Anthems, 2003)

5/5. I'm currently 23. Throughout my teen-hood, I was into power metal, then melodic death metal, then gothic metal... But now here I am, a young adult enjoying the metalcore of the other monthly clan playlist I've made, along with the industrial metal of this one, including this kick-A gothic-influenced industrial metal band. And you never really have to be Satanic or Goth or swear to make or even listen to music like this. The music is what's supposed to matter.

Rob Zombie - "Dragula" (from Hellbilly Deluxe, 1998)

4.5/5. In the first Revolution playlist of this year, I added Motionless in White's cover of this Rob Zombie classic, and now at the tail-end of the year, I added the original song to this Sphere playlist! This would work well for a teen to blast this song while driving their parent's car in a Halloween joyride.

Nine Inch Nails - "Wish" (from Broken, 1992)

4/5. This one drops in with a programmed beat and spaced-out vocals making room for metal riffing. The catchy metal chorus spices up that mundane verse-chorus pattern with metal guitar and synths, the latter foreshadowing what they would have in The Downward Spiral.

Static X - "All These Years" (from Project Regeneration, Vol. 1, 2020)

4.5/5. Ah yeah, let's bring in some f***ing good hardcore industrial nu metal. The posthumous vocals by the late Wayne Static might bring in some Korn vibes. RIP Wayne

Lard - "Generation Execute" (from Pure Chewing Satisfaction, 1997)

4/5. Fascinating heavy riffing alongside the creepy yet fun signature vocals of Jello Biafra. Apparently, the riffing was reused from what was scrapped in the Ministry Psalm 69 sessions. The long-time fans of Jello and Ministry would have good memories. Give me more, all day all night!

Marilyn Manson - "The Reflecting God" (from Antichrist Superstar, 1996)

4.5/5. This is honestly quite omnipotent. It describes a dream within a dream more than Inception could, but "you'll understand when I'm dead". I still can't believe this band got blamed for the Columbine shooting because of what the perpetrators listened to...

Killing Joke - "Pandemonium" (from Pandemonium, 1994)

4/5. Killing Joke sit somewhere in the line between underrated and overrated. They broke ground with their earlier rock hits, but it's the more earthy and heavy songs like this that need more attention. But there's no f***ing shame in where they and other bands stand. This might've also appeared in a Top Gear episode. Jaz Coleman vocals can range from new wave to metal. Impressive, right???

White Zombie - "Blood, Milk and Sky" (from Astro-Creep: 2000 – Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head, 1995)

4.5/5. Another song from Rob Zombie, or in this case, his former band White Zombie. It's one of the most haunting and hypnotizing tracks I've ever heard, and I'm talking strongly mesmerizing. Just don't listen when watching a boring sleep-inducing lecture.

Fear Factory - "Disruptor" (from Aggression Continuum, 2021)

5/5. I'm glad to find awesome music from this fantastic band, Fear Factory.

Samael - "Rite of Renewal" (from Hegemony, 2017)

4.5/5. This band deserves more attention for their inspiring music and lyrics. This is one of my favorite songs from their new album when I was still listening to the band. It brings back a bit of their late 90s vibe. They mix industrial metal with a bit of symphonic black metal (the latter at full front in their first few albums and Above), which is kind of why my time fully listening to this band wasn't so long. Still this is pretty cool!

Godflesh - "Anthem" (from Hymns, 2001)

4/5. This one's interesting. After a couple songs that have shouted vocals, this one focuses on clean singing. Quite an amazing anthem! A haunting vibe is added to the guitar thanks to those vocals.

Author and Punisher - "Kruller" (from Kruller, 2022)

4.5/5. Crushing doomy industrial metal, though the song title made me hungry for those crullers that used to be made in Dunkin' Donuts.

Morgoth - "Watch the Fortune Wheel" (from Feel Sorry for the Fanatic, 1996)

5/5. I love this one, though this was when this normally death metal band had a temporary turn into industrial metal.

Mnemic - "Mechanical Spin Phenomenon" (from Mechanical Spin Phenomena, 2003)

4.5/5. This epic kick-A sound of progressive-ish industrial groove metal would help bands like Sybreed and Divine Heresy find their direction and let bands of other genres like Animals as Leaders borrow their progressiveness. The chaotic electro-metal talent of Strapping Young Lad can definitely be heard in Mnemic's influences. They should really have more fame than a different Danish metal band Volbeat.

Blue Stahli - "Anchor" (from Quartz, 2020)

4/5. After the long wait for this playlist to be published while I was having the virus, I'm glad that I'm still alive and can hear this beautiful dreamy music where others in this site can hear. The heavier parts are worth headbanging to. Brutal heaviness can enhance a beautiful small symphony. The anchor still remains!

Viral Millennium - "Vomitosis" (from Vomitosis, 2014)

3.5/5. Nice song, though I wouldn't hope much for this band to shape the future of industrial metal.

Seecrees - "New Dawn" (from Genesis, 2012)

4/5. The 25-second intro can already get cyber metal fans hooked.

THE SIN:DECAY - "We Are All Slaves" (from Rehabilitation, 2007)

4.5/5. It's sad that bands like this one are practically unknown. This is hypnotic epic synth metal! There should be some new stuff with this cold beauty. I'm glad to find this 90% perfect song. Like I said before, music can be awesome whether religious or sinful, and people need to be grateful for the existence of other such bands like Sybreed and Neurotech. Also you don't have to use accepted copyrighted samples to be industrial metal, and you don't have to directly copy from Depeche Mode to get synths. There are no limits to make and listen to this music. Well, other than if your parents are strict against "parental advisory" albums, but you get the point. Just listen and appreciate!

Psyclon Nine - "Crwn Thy Frnicatr" (from Crwn Thy Frnicatr, 2006)

5/5. F*** yes, this is aggrotech gone industrial metal, foreshadowing what this band and Dawn of Ashes would have later. The vocals are so unclean yet unclear if you don't have the lyrics. The guitar sounds close to nu metal in a way, and that's quite awesome to hear.

Andrew Hulshult - "Dusk" (from DUSK (Original Game Soundtrack), 2019)

4.5/5. Now how about this theme song for an industrial metal soundtrack composed for the game DUSK? Let's think outside of DOOM for 3 minutes...

Dawn of Ashes - "Carnal Consummation in the Empty Space (To Mega Therion Mix)" (from Farewell to the Flesh, 2012)

4/5. This remix sounds to me like early Psyclon Nine with Therion symphonics. I like that one!

Dolor - "Metamorphosis" (Tanz der Schatten (Der Clown), 2010)

3.5/5. Not bad, but still not get the whole Neue Deutsche Härte appeal.

Treibhaus - "Kodex" (from Feinbild, 2006)

3/5. Same with this one, losing a little more heat.

Motionless in White - "Final Dictvm" (from Reincarnate, 2014)

3.5/5. While not exactly one of their best songs, it fits well for the electronics that form The Sphere, and once again the music has nothing worth b***hing about.

Ministry - "Amerikkka" (from Amerikkkant, 2018)

4/5. And now it's back to the pure OG industrial metal for one more track in this playlist. The samples can be repetitive, but the heaviness is practically. So don't you f***ing care about those naysayers I keep mentioning when I was commenting on this playlist. Just sit back and enjoy before your time comes....TO GET OUT.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite a few slight bumps throughout... Anyway, I sure would recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!