October 2022 "The Sphere" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post September 30, 2022 11:47 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/45Xj4PCyW3LavsE8NMtncN

Tracklisting:

1. Lard - "The Power of Lard" (from Power of Lard, 1989)

2. Prime Sinister - "So Close" (from United in Violence, 2008)

3. Lord of the Lost - "Priest" (from Judas, 2021) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

4. Killus - "Ultrazombies" (from Ultrazombies, 2016)

5. Sore Throat - "Phase V" (from Inde$troy, 1989) [submitted by Daniel]

6. Ministry - "So What" (from The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste, 1989) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

7. Fashion Bomb - "SS" (from Devils to Some Angels to Others, 2006)

8. Ap2 - "Resurrection of the Ravens" (from Suspension of Disbelief, 2000)

9. Limbogott - "Stash" (from One Minute Violence, 2005)

10. Underlined - "Altruism" (from Altruism, Vol. 1, 2015)

11. Spf 1000 - "Haunted House" (from Witch Hunt, 2003)

12. N17 - "Version 1.2" (from Trust No One, 1997)

13. Northlane - "Eclipse" (from Alien, 2019) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

14. Strapping Young Lad - "Home Nucleonics" (from City, 1997) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

15. Chaotica - "Prison of Decay" (from Prison of Decay, 2006)

16. Circle of Dust - "Deviate" (from Brainchild, 1994)

17. Skrew - "Picasso Trigger" (from Dusted, 1994)

18. Deathstars - "Synthetic Generation" (from Synthetic Generation, 2002)

19. Code Orange - "Sulfur Surrounding" (from Underneath, 2020)

20. Nine Inch Nails - Physical (You're So)" (from Broken, 1992)

21. The Kovenant - "Mirror's Paradise" (from Animatronik, 1999)

22. Digimortal - "Добро пожаловать на бой" (from Дети галактики, 2015)

23. Eisenherz - "Die Seele Brennt" (from Eisenherz, 2006)

24. [die!] - "Mein Letzter Wille" (from Still, 2009)

25. Godflesh - "Streetcleaner 2" (from Godflesh, 1988 (1990 reissue)) [submitted by Shadowdoom9 (Andi)]

October 02, 2022 12:10 AM

Here are my thoughts on all the selected tracks:

Lard - "The Power of Lard" (from Power of Lard, 1989)

3.5/5. And so we begin by practically picking up where Jourgensen left off in his Pailhead, including the pattern; opening slow before building up frantic fast energy. Once the drums roll in, Biafra leads a group in shouting the band's name, "Lard!" Biafra adds his recognizable vocals to socially political lyrics in the verses. It's the kind of commentary to sonically assault the listener!

Prime Sinister - "So Close" (from United in Violence, 2008)

4/5. So close to being a great hit, but still seems slightly far off...

Lord of the Lost - "Priest" (from Judas, 2021)

4.5/5. I love this song, though it's close to the Neue Deutsche Härte sound (though with English lyrics) that I usually save for next-to-last.

Killus - "Ultrazombies" (from Ultrazombies, 2016)

4/5. A good song to pass the spooky industrial metal test. It would've been perfect if I could find the lyrics, but I can hum them, I guess...

Sore Throat - "Phase V" (from Inde$troy, 1989)

3.5/5. "If on Earth is a heavenly place, it is this, it is this, it is this..." If you're looking for part of an earlier, more ambient/industrial attempt at a grindcore band's sludge epic than Pig Destroyer's Natasha, here you go...

Ministry - "So What" (from The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste, 1989)

4/5. This is more than a 8-minute song, it's an anthem with harmonic guitars and catchy bass as Jourgensen declares, "So what!? it's your own problem to learn to live with. Destroy us! Or make us saints!! WE DON'T CARE!!! IT'S NOT OUR FAULT THAT WE WERE BORN TOO LATE!!!!" This song of the generation's apathy will get you singing along to an anthem that's unlike any other.

Fashion Bomb - "SS" (from Devils to Some Angels to Others, 2006)

4.5/5. This one's quite amazing, though I believe to have gone far past their active era. This is for metalheads who prefer more of Marilyn Manson or Korn than Metallica or Iron Maiden. In fact, this band has pulled off f***ing sicker stuff than Marilyn Manson, especially in the drums and vocals. They would probably get paid for playing in bars!

Ap2 - "Resurrection of the Ravens" (from Suspension of Disbelief, 2000)

5/5. A totally underrated work of art! This is pretty much what Klayton's other projects Circle of Dust and Celldweller, and might just go down as a long-lasting favorite. The techno-dance-rave-like industrial rock/metal sound is killer! Klayton is the writer and singer of this beautiful piece. I'm bummed out that Argyle Park split up after their second album's release in 2000, but there's always those other projects. I actually have an idea for a Celldweller song suggestion. Stay tuned for that next month...

Limbogott - "Stash" (from One Minute Violence, 2005)

4.5/5. Another underrated track in need of more attention!

Underlined - "Altruism" (from Altruism, Vol. 1, 2015)

4/5. When I first saw this song title, I thought it was "Autism", which is what I have. Quite a killer song, though not super interested.

Spf 1000 - "Haunted House" (from Witch Hunt, 2003)

3.5/5. Welcome back to the Horror Show! This time we're heading into the Haunted House... This deserves a music video, probably one inspired by that Cartoon Network series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

N17 - "Version 1.2" (from Trust No One, 1997)

4/5. Now this song can really turn a strip club into a f***ing mosh pit while jack-jumping off chairs. Crazy sick and almost hardcore-sounding!

Northlane - "Eclipse" (from Alien, 2019)

4.5/5. This is one of the most upbeat and heaviest songs by Northlane. You can definitely scream along to the lyrics in live shows!

Strapping Young Lad - "Home Nucleonics" (from City, 1997)

5/5. "The beat starts here" WITH A F***ING SCREAM!!! This one makes that Northlane track sound like smooth jazz in comparison! Probably the heaviest, most chaotic storm from Strapping Young Lad besides "Sh*t Storm" and having the most amazing screams from Devin Townsend. "I! WARNED!! YOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!!!"

Chaotica - "Prison of Decay" (from Prison of Decay, 2006)

4.5/5. Why the actual f*** is this practically unknown!?! It's freaking underrated and as good what people think of the more mainstream bands! This makes me smile and almost laugh maniacally. It's practically relatable for anyone who has their own metaphorical mental prison, such as an office job. This one's basically a techno-industrial rock/metal tune. The fast-rapping-ish bridge at over the two-and-a-half-minute mark is slightly off-putting, but far more genius! If there's a rave party using this, sign me up!

Circle of Dust - "Deviate" (from Brainchild, 1994)

5/5. Now this I dig much more, and this is the only second song I've heard from Circle of Dust, the other one from the June Sphere playlist. Klayton has done an amazing job combining the industrial metal and samples of Ministry with Slayer-like thrash. The remastered version gives the song fresher dynamic. You can headbang while playing the air-guitar and starting a mosh pit! Apparently, the "DON'T MAKE ME USE THIS!!" part is from Ren and Stimpy. It's a little shocking that this band is of Christian background, though I'm speaking as someone who is not Christian. This is more for those who want to destroy everything in sight, in video games, of course. "Who's got the shotgun!?"

Skrew - "Picasso Trigger" (from Dusted, 1994)

4.5/5. Skrew is one of the earliest mainstream-ish industrial metal bands besides Ministry, probably slightly more underrated than Ministry. The intro f***ing kicks a**! I'm sure Beavis and Butthead fans would recognize this song.

Deathstars - "Synthetic Generation" (from Synthetic Generation, 2002)

4.5/5. Deathstars is the kind of band that would play Marilyn Manson-like industrial metal with Murderdolls-like aesthetics. Hail this synthetic generation!

Code Orange - "Sulfur Surrounding" (from Underneath, 2020)

5/5. This one would have your heart breaking out of your ribcage in emotional balladry.

Nine Inch Nails - Physical (You're So)" (from Broken, 1992)

4.5/5. Originally by Adam and the Ants, this cover track is an awesome catchy tune with a sexual-sounding chorus that you desperately try to resist singing out loud, "You're too physical to me".

The Kovenant - "Mirror's Paradise" (from Animatronik, 1999)

5/5. "Like a river flowing around me... Mirror's paradise! Pulling me in it's wake... Mirror's paradise!" Man, that chorus is serene! I think I found another perfect band via a perfect song for stuff like jogging. I probably would've liked this band more if I discovered them during my epic metal teens, but then again, their black metal background would've been too much. Epic-sounding techno-symphonic synths here! The shrieks sound a bit like Dani Filth. Lyrics sound close to Christian territory, but I don't know...

Digimortal - "Добро пожаловать на бой" (from Дети галактики, 2015)

4.5/5. Another Russian cyber metal song (after the one from the previous month's playlist)! What are the odds?! This one's pretty cool. During the chorus, the vocalist sounds almost like an old drunk man, and I don't mean that in a mean way.

Eisenherz - "Die Seele Brennt" (from Eisenherz, 2006)

4/5. Also pretty cool for an NDH song. Enough said!

[die!] - "Mein Letzter Wille" (from Still, 2009)

3.5/5. Not the best, but definitely needs more attention.

Godflesh - "Streetcleaner 2" (from Godflesh, 1988 (1990 reissue))

4/5. Ending this playlist with an ambient remix of the title track of the band's debut Streetcleaner, you can also hear a bit of the solid vocal aggression to be delivered in the Streetcleaner album, more aggressive than the EP where the music has spoken.

Pretty good playlist I've made, huh? Despite a few slight bumps throughout... Anyway, I sure would recommend this to any industrial metal fan and anyone who isn't into industrial metal but is up to getting into a great start in enjoying the genre. Thanks Daniel for accepting this and your help with your submission, and I hope the rest of you enjoy it like I've had!