December 2022 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post December 01, 2022 07:50 AM

(Thread posted with permission from Saxy)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Wtb5QsNObO9w62f7ThQNF

Tracklisting:

01. Animals as Leaders - "Gordian Naught" (from Parrhesia)

02. Cult of Luna - "Blood Upon Stone" (from The Long Road North)

03. Persefone - "Merkabah" (from Metanoia)

04. Seventh Wonder - "Invincible" (from The Testament)

05. Voivod - "Synchro Anarchy" (from Synchro Anarchy)

06. An Abstract Illusion - "In The Heavens Above, You Will Become A Monster" (from Woe)

07. Dreadnought - "Liminal Veil" (from The Endless)

08. Wilderun - "Passenger" (from Epigone)

09. Ibaraki - "Ronin" (from Rashomon)

10. Rolo Tomassi - "Drip" (from Where Myth Becomes Memory)

11. Holy Fawn - "Death is a Relief" (from Dimensional Bleed)

12. Astronoid - "Eyes" (from Radiant Bloom)

13. Fallujah - "Radiant Ascension" (from Empyrean)

December 01, 2022 09:02 AM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Animals as Leaders - "Gordian Naught" (from Parrhesia)

4.5/5. Animals as Leaders is a band with some of the most technical-playing musicians in humankind, though I prefer progressive metal slightly more with vocal flavor. There's even a rare blast beat from drummer Matt Garstka.

Cult of Luna - "Blood Upon Stone" (from The Long Road North)

5/5. Too early for an apocalyptic climax, but never mind that, this is a perfect epic! The guitarists from the band Phoenix join in, Christian Mazzalai and Laurent Brancowitz.

Persefone - "Merkabah" (from Metanoia)

4.5/5. This one is the right choice for all those pattern structures to decipher. The near-end breakdown is more straight than everything else. The keyboardist/clean vocalist sings a sincerely catchy chorus.

Seventh Wonder - "Invincible" (from The Testament)

5/5. One of my favorite tracks from the new Seventh Wonder album The Testament besides "The Light"! It's far more than just a cheesy anthem, the mind-blowing melody is awesome, and what keeps me hooked is vocalist Tommy Karevik who's also in Kamelot, one of two power metal bands I still have time for (the other being DragonForce). Besides those angelic vocals, the band performs an impressive blend of fast guitar/bass riffs, complex drumming, and single-handed keyboarding.

Voivod - "Synchro Anarchy" (from Synchro Anarchy)

4.5/5. Still doing great while aging, I see! Guitarist Daniel Mongrain can do the skills to the late Piggy justice while staying fresh. Their earlier albums from the 80s are still bad-a** though. Rock on!

Ibaraki - "Ronin" (from Rashomon)

4/5. Alongside wanting to find a song in the playlist for me to listen to besides the ones I've requested, I've heard of Trivium frontman Matt Heafy's progressive black metal side-project Ibaraki and thought of checking it out at some point. Now's the right chance! A major motion picture should have this track as part of the soundtrack, it's quite excellent. And wow, who knew My Chemical Romance's Gerard Way can be a kick-A black metal shrieker?! Still I prefer Matt Heafy performing with the metalcore power of Trivium, but maybe I'll someday check out more of this side-project Ibaraki....