March 2022 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post February 28, 2022 07:14 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Wtb5QsNObO9w62f7ThQNF?si=9657cfb5a8504fa8

1. Moon Tooth – Carry Me Home (2022)

2. Angra – Black Widow’s Web (2018) Requested by Andi

3. Aviations – Dizziness Explained (2018)

4. Amenra – Children of the Eye (2017) Requested by Xephyr

5. Zeal & Ardor – Death to the Holy (2022)

6. Diablo Swing Orchestra – Justice For Saint Mary (2012) Requested by Andi

7. Between the Buried and Me – The Ectopic Stroll (2015)

8. Amorphis – When The God’s Came (2022)

9. Enslaved – Isa (2004) Requested by Andi

10. Slugdge – Salt Thrower (2018)

11. Cult of Luna – An Offering To The Wild (2022) Requested by Xephyr

12. Rolo Tomassi – Mutual Ruin (2022)

13. Queensryche – Eyes Of A Stranger (1988) Requested by Andi

14. Leprous – Coal (2013)

15. Allegaeon – Called Home (2022)

16. Voivod – Iconspiracy (2018) Requested by Andi

17. Jinjer – Home Back (2019)

18. Persefone – Architecture of the I (2022) Requested by Xephyr

March 01, 2022 02:22 PM

Here are my thoughts on some tracks:

Moon Tooth – Carry Me Home (2022)

4.5/5. Here we go again with some groovy progressive metal to fuel my Infinite blood. It's quite f***ing catchy and can almost make an awesome standout. The singing is never disappointing at all. A f***ing innovative headbanger! The riffing has a bit of a He Is Legend-like Southern vibe. The singing rises to its climatic point in the final chorus.

Angra – Black Widow’s Web (2018)

5/5. Holy sh*t, Angra just brought in Brazilian pop star Sandy for this song! Her excellent high singing reigns the intro along with the post-solo bridge alongside Fabio Lione. Alissa White-Gluz of Arch Enemy can also be heard throughout the song, doing her signature female growling alongside great background singing in the final chorus. Angra has even brought in some djent without losing their roots, especially in the breakdown at the 3-minute mark, rare to progressive power metal. A great band to come for the future that's near as f***. The chorus riffing soars through like dark clouds. This awesomeness deserves some great respect. While Sandy should've had more of the spotlight, Alissa provides the perfect contrast just like that of Kamelot's "Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)". Alissa still has her growling power from The Agonist and Arch Enemy. People think Angra's not the same after Andre Matos left, but it's great to explore the band's other vocalist eras. They're still hailed as a spectacular band today!

Between the Buried and Me – The Ectopic Stroll (2015)

4.5/5. Another wicked song from when I used to listen to BTBAM, though I would've described this song much better if I kept my review for its album Coma Ecliptic. Some things you just can't keep all of.

Enslaved – Isa (2004)

4/5. This one's a nice recommendation for extreme progressive metal fans, but again, I'm out of the black metal game.

Slugdge – Salt Thrower (2018)

4.5/5. Ditto with this one, though there is a slight touch of brutal death, especially in the grand killer riff right in the middle. It is quite great with the music and the artwork screaming METAL. Plus the Opeth-like strength is another thing that inspired me to keep Opeth with me for a long while. And there is a bit of Mastodon/Kylesa-like sludge.

Cult of Luna – An Offering To The Wild (2022)

5/5. This highlight carries the strong atmosphere back into the sludgy heaviness, with additional instrumentation by Colin Stetson, best known for his film soundtracks including Hereditary. This cinematic composition expands into chaotic cacophony by the end of its 13-minute length.

Queensryche – Eyes Of A Stranger (1988)

5/5. The final song of Queensryche's concept album breakthrough, Operation Mindcrime, is the second most-memorable song of that album and has the best chorus. If you're wondering what's going on in the story, listen to the rest of the album to find out.

Leprous – Coal (2013)

4.5/5. The title track of Leprous' third non-demo album sounds much different, closer to technical groove metal in some parts.

Voivod – Iconspiracy (2018)

4.5/5. Such inventive beauty in this track full of creativity! Then there's a blast-beat-ish bridge in the middle that adds fresh interest by allowing the bass and strings to take the front stage instead of guitars. It's almost how, throughout these nearly 4 decades of their career, they've barely been bad at all, though the E-Force era caused a bit of turbulence. Voivod is quite unlike most other bands!

Jinjer – Home Back (2019)

4/5. Another underrated band that should be heard in far more than just their homeland. The lyrics tell quite a fascinating story, and have a bit of dark vibe added from the current situation in Ukraine where they're from. Stay strong! Also, some might be reminded of Mudvayne and System of a Down.

Persefone – Architecture of the I (2022)

5/5. This one begins with bass/keyboard elegance before an aggressively speedy rollercoaster of emotion. The savageness never bores me at all with the dark vibe helped out by the hardcore screams of lead vocalist Marc Martins. The percussion often reaching hyperblast levels up the chaotic massacre. A killer way to end this playlist!