December 2021 "The Infinite" Playlist - Metal Academy Radio

First Post November 30, 2021 08:47 PM

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2Wtb5QsNObO9w62f7ThQNF

Evergrey – Forever Outsider (2021) Submitted by Andi

Sleep Paralysis – Altesia (2021) Submitted by Xephyr

Persefone – Underworld: The Fallen & The Butterfly – Act I: Clash of the Titans (2006)

Vildhjarta – sunset sunrise sunset sunrise (2021)

Crusade – Insatiable (2021)

Leprous – Contaminate Me (2013) Submitted by Andi

Dream Theater – Awaken the Master (2021) Submitted by Xephyr

The Ocean – Calymmian (2008)

Cynic – In a Multiverse Where Atoms Sing (2021)

Animals As Leaders – The Problem of Other Minds (2021)

maudlin of the Well – Birth Pains Of Astral Projection (2001) Submitted by Andi

Kayo Dot – Void in Virgo (The Nature of Sacrifice) (2021) Submitted by Xephyr

Igorrr – Opus Brain (2017)

Baroness – Rays On Pinion (2007)

Gojira – New Found (2021)

Pain of Salvation – To the End (1997) Submitted by Andi

Thank You Scientist – Creature Comfort (2021)

Ghost Brigade – Departures (2014)

Others by No One – Foxjune (2021)

December 01, 2021 04:35 AM

Amazing playlist, Saxy! Though I don't have a lot of time to comment on all the tracks for this one, this is still a wild progressive ride, so here are my thoughts:

Evergrey – Forever Outsider (2021)

5/5. Right at the start, we begins the amazing race through the playlist with a song from an album with dark aggression and heavy energy. In Escape of the Phoenix, they've picked up the aggression from The Atlantic, including the down-tuned guitar. There might be slower songs to come in better pace than the half-boring half-incredible The Storm Within, but not as super-great as The Atlantic.

Sleep Paralysis – Altesia (2021)

4.5/5. Altesia is back with a new album Embryo. Brilliant piece, but I've already heard enough from this band.

Persefone – Underworld: The Fallen & The Butterfly – Act I: Clash of the Titans (2006)

5/5. The heaviness of this album Core continues in the beginning of "Underworld". It's too awesome for words, just listen for yourself!

Leprous – Contaminate Me (2013)

5/5. This is a heavy, intense, dark ending to the song's original album with aggressive atmosphere. There's a bit of djent in the guitars inspired by Meshuggah. Ihsahn guest appears, throwing in excellent harsh vocals that really add in the insane fury. This is more chaotic than any of Leprous' material, and makes up for a lot of the heaviness the earlier songs in that album missed out.

Dream Theater – Awaken the Master (2021)

4.5/5. Here's another highlight, the band's first song with djenty 8-string guitar, something Petrucci first experimented with in his project with Ernie Ball Music Man. Dream Theater should some more djenty experiments in their next album...

The Ocean – Calymmian (2008)

4/5. This is a small disappointment compared to the previous tracks of Precambrian, but it's still great and doesn't affect the album's perfect score.

Cynic – In a Multiverse Where Atoms Sing (2021)

4.5/5. Cynic was one of the bands I've abandoned during my death metal departure due to their earlier material. But it was also because I thought they were moving away from metal with their previous album Kindly Bent to Free Us and because of the loss of the two Seans. But guess what? This song is legit progressive metal and Matt Lynch's drumming is absolutely tremendous! Sean Reinert would be proud, and I would be up to check out Cynic's new album Ascension Codes. RIP both Seans...

Animals As Leaders – The Problem of Other Minds (2021)

5/5. And now, Animals as Leaders is coming back with a new single as well! This song is so d*mn amazing with rainbow-colorful guitars and no lyrics. I gotta look out for their new album Parrhesia, coming out in a few months.

maudlin of the Well – Birth Pains Of Astral Projection (2001)

5/5. Bummer about Maudlin of the Well not releasing any recent metal singles, still currently in hiatus, but this one is the over 10-minute epic of its album Bath, and this playlist (still kinda wishing for longer songs). It gets pretty weird throughout this song, especially in the riffs. After starting soft over 3 minutes, it switches to bad-a** death-ridden progressive metal to for any metalhead to enjoy. That's the last bit of death metal you would hear for that album.

Gojira – New Found (2021)

4.5/5. This is the kind of song that would make you wanna ride an elephant marching through a jungle and smashing trees with its trunk. And within this beautiful emotional work is a direct message about space travel happening later on in this decade.

Pain of Salvation – To the End (1997)

4.5/5. Good lyrics from another good choice for me. Thanks again for accepting my submissions, Saxy!