How to report incorrect aspects of releases/bands?

First Post June 22, 2021 10:40 PM

As a general question, is there a set way to report problems (e.g. incorrect data) on releases? The specific instance that has me asking is the set album cover for Maylene and the Sons of Disaster's self-titled album: the cover art is actually from their second album, II.

June 22, 2021 11:46 PM

I don't know any issues with release cover arts, but here are a couple involving release years:

I suggested this change before, and since nothing has happened there, I'll suggest it again. Symphony X's self-titled debut was released in 1994, not 1996. This error was because the release on their official label Inside Out Music was not until 1996, but it was actually first released in 1994 via Japanese label Zero Corporation. The second album The Damnation Game was released in 1995, so this looks like The Damnation Game is the first and this album is the second, but it isn't!! Ben, please change this album's release year to 1994.

I've never been too sure about the release year for Riot's Rock City being 1977, despite popular belief. Barely anyone has heard of them until at least 1978, which was the year they started selling a decently prominent amount of copies and performed with AC/DC and Molly Hatchet, and then later right when they were about to lose momentum, DJ Neal Kay of the Bandwagon Soundhouse helped spread the word about them in the UK, earning the band a higher fanbase and encouraging them to continue. And even though the original vinyl label says 1977, that's not highly reliable because some CD/vinyl publishing years might be slightly false (like for example, Symphony X's The Divine Wings of Tragedy has the release year label 1996 even though its official release year is 1997 (what is up with Symphony X album release years being 1996!?)). With that, I'd like the release year for Riot's Rock City to be changed to 1978.

June 23, 2021 01:30 AM

Thanks for raising that concern Tymell. I'd suggest that a simple private message to Ben would be the smoothest & fastest way to report incorrect data as he owns the database administration. Alternatively, you could raise a new thread in the SITE SUGGESTIONS forum.

In regards to your request around Riot's "Rock City" Andi, I have to ask what actual evidence you have of it being released in 1978? I'm not seeing any above. Did you read that this might be the case somewhere? If so, what is the source of your theory? If we're going to change a readily accepted release date then we'll want to be sure that everyone else is wrong.

June 23, 2021 02:13 AM
I just checked the list of release issues in the RYM page for Rock City, and perhaps I'm the one who's wrong then, seeing five 1977 releases of the album, though there is a 1978 release in the UK, which might connect with the word about them spreading there. I still believe the Symphony X debut release in 1994 is real though...
Ben
Ben
The Fallen The Horde The North The Pit
June 23, 2021 06:34 AM

I'm happy for people to message me directly, or create an Incorrect Release Data thread in the relevant clan forum.

I'll check these releases out tomorrow and adjust accordingly.

Ben
Ben
June 23, 2021 06:41 AM

Actually, I've just fixed the Maylene and the Sons of Disaster album. I can't believe they actually put a Sale Price sticker on the cover itself. I wasted time looking for one that didn't have it, but it looks like it's supposed to be there.

June 23, 2021 07:23 AM

Cheers Ben, I'll keep this in mind for any future occurrences.

Ben
Ben
June 24, 2021 09:11 PM

I've fixed up the Symphony X release. I'm not sure why RYM does that sometimes. They clearly have the 1994 release listed, but the 1996 is the official date for the album. Anyway, thanks Andi!

June 24, 2021 11:20 PM
No, thank YOU, Ben! I've been wanting that error fixed for two years now, and I'm absolutely glad that it's finally fixed.
Ben
Ben
June 25, 2021 05:56 AM
I must have missed your original request. I never want incorrect data on Metal Academy!